VirusChaser and Dr.Web

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by larouse, May 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larouse

larouse Registered Member

I had read that VirusChaser and Dr. Web are the same is correct ? How would be the difference or VirusChaser is a Clone ? The VirusChase HomePage has the Dr.Web logo....Have the same quality, Detection rate ....some comments about it ?

Thank you,

2. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

From my understanding VirusChaser is a DR.Web clone but it is not available in the states, other countries I have no idea, and I thought I read somewhere the company went under?

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Virus Chaser is very much alive & kicking. It is S. Korean-vintage DrWeb clone. It has a much friendlier GUI which leans more toward *set-it & forget-it" than does DrWeb's GUI.

Virus Chaser's main English-language site is HERE. That site will let you download & trial the program.That site also lets you download the manual.

The English-language *Hong Kong outlet* for VC is HERE.

You can also download trial from HERE, or HERE.

The online sellers are for Hong Kong, China, Japan, Thailand, Indonesia. To purchase from elsewhere, inquire at Overseas_Sales @ virusdesk.com

4. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

O/T
    Wow, I just did a currency conversion, and I must say the USD has dropped considerably there in the last 2 years! I remember when it was 1 USD to 10 HKD... :doubt:

If you are curious it is $44.92 USD, for a new VirusChaser license. Might want to email them direct for a better quote...

Ouch!

5. larouse

Ok, but are the same products, with same quality ? Because Dr.Web is a Good AV and low resouce.....o_O

6. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

I have a license to VirusChaser, it scores well below Dr.Web on my malware collections for some odd reason. Also it is very buggy from what I found.

But that was a few months ago, who knows now.

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Apparently it is supposed to use the same engine as Dr Web, but detection rates are not always the same between the two AV's. This is shown over at Virus Bulletin and here .

I have not used this AV for at least 6 months but support was very good.

If you enquire about buying the program outside of Asia/Far East, they send you a free one-year license key. I have been sent several of these since February, 2003 and my present one lasts until September, 2005.

Last edited: May 8, 2005
  8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

You non-Asians are too lucky :'(

9. Blackcat

I should have been more specific in my first post.

I asked their Overseas sales section if VirusChaser was available to buy to UK residents and was given this reply;

This email was from Overseas_Sales@virusdesk.com

Therefore, it appears that if you enquire about buying the product and you cannot buy VirusChaser in your country then they offer the free license key. As mentioned previously I have been sent these free license keys for over 2 years.

Maybe someone living outside of their market area can contact "Overseas Sales" to see whether this offer is still available.

Some past threads on VirusChaser are here and here.

10. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

I did enquire about 3 months ago, living in The Netherlands, but their policy has changed. Now you can obtain this product from anywhere in the world by using a creditcard........so.....no more free licenses.

;) Putin

11. Blackcat

Thanks, Putin.

Now, even less reason to choose VirusChaser over Dr Web.

12. larouse

Ok, but the rate detection is less of Dr. Web, it is that is not good Product ?

13. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

Last edited: Dec 4, 2005
  14. Blackcat

You can register the demo and obtain a further 2 months of free use.

As before you cannot install it unless any other AV’s on your computer are uninstalled.

Light footprint of 5MB, which goes up to 14MB when email protection is enabled. GUI has changed for the better. SpiderMail has now been incorporated into this version

Attached Files:

• VC1.gif
      VC1.gif
      File size:
      19.2 KB
      Views:
  15. Blackcat

Scanner in use.

Attached Files:

16. Blackcat

Scanner settings but it is unclear whether this is for both the RTM and the on-demand scanner?

Attached Files:

17. Blackcat

New updates are clearly shown.

Attached Files:

18. Blackcat

However, although the GUI has improved, the question is whether you would select this clone or the original Dr Web.

At twice the price ($45 v $25), and less configuration options I think I will stay with the Russian original package.

19. Firecat

I'm currently looking at Virus Chaser (to replace McAfee on my brother's PC) and it seems to be a good product. There are less options but a better GUI than Dr.Web, and the support from the Hong Kong outlet does vary, sometimes I get a reply in 15 minutes and other times it takes almost 2 days. And yes, their english is not bad at all. :)

I noticed that there is no link to send a suspected virus to the makers of Virus Chaser. Would it just be OK to send all suspected samples to Dr.Web itself rather than Virus Chaser?

Firecat :)

20. Billy Blaze

Billy Blaze Registered Member

More O/T... but I do not ever remember the USD being 1 to 10 with HKD. USD and HKD usually always stay around the 1USD - 7.7HKD. Rarely you might see it being 1USD - 7.8/7.9 etc. HKD.

To me the GUI of VirusChaser looks very similar to that of Dr.Web 4.33. To each their own I guess :doubt:

21. musicman

musicman Registered Member

I ran VirusChaser on my puter for a year. Memory consumption was very low as mentioned above which is great for my pc. Had some false/positive dections from VC. Their GUI as shown above is nice easy I felt to use. Updates were 3 to 4 times per day for me, and I noticed virus def were 3 to 1 in trojan detection. Oh yes.....mostly definently do not have another antivirus software installed while installing VC....as it goes buggy. :blink:

22. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Knowing you, I would recommend you to use the origional Dr. Web instead of this one. I'm testing Dr. Web for some weeks now, and the interface may not be the most nicest of them all, but once you're familiar with it it's very usefull. Price considerated I don't see a problem (since Dr. Web is cheaper).

23. Firecat

Well yes, for me, Dr.Web would definitely be better, but like I said, its for my bro. He prefers a good interface over configurability, and he wants good malware detection too (he isn't used to "optimize" and configure an AV to his liking).

Still, Dr.Web's pricing is excellent, and I shall consider it. :)

24. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Well maybe you can install and configure it for him. For end usage I think both programs are easy to use. Also you can find excellent documentation on Dr. Web's download page. Good luck with your choise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.