Viruscape....A new antivirus on the market?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by BadWolf, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Re: A new antivirus on the market?

(Edit* Just to confirm when you say VS are you talking about Mcafee's VS or Tera's VS)

@ my problems with Mcafee VS, then Yes, i am sorry it was another program that i had problems with FG with. I just used Flashget as an example as it is a well known problem program and everyone knows all about flashget.

But however Mcafee VSE did make me scream like crazy due to my Everest software. Which it just on doing an on demand scan just deleated off my computer without even me asking me if i wanted it gone. (which also on reflection it was when i opened up the folder with the installer exe present inside and it just deleated it automatically. I am very sorry for my hazy memory on this)

It just popped up saying this was deleated. I was flabbergated.

And also another couple of frequently used programs (i have now embarrisngly forgot which) it simply would not let them run. Again due to F/P. That all hapend after an update in early May 2005. It seems Mcafee for their spyware detecting capabiliies they seemed to had more F/P in their program that month than any program i had ever saw. And it was making my using my computer a real pain. So i switched out of frustration.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2006
  2. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I did a scan of my system and I got a few fp's in return but I had to option to leave it like that and that was exactly what I did. No deletes from the program itself. I did send Tera an email with the FP's and got a nice email back with the remarks that the things will be solved soon after they download the programs I got the FP's for: FinePrint and TC Powerpack for Total Commander.

3. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

NOD32 gives no notion too. Others did and I don't like the fact that sometimes with those programs you can't even rule it out.

And if you buy Flashget the adds are gone, as far as i can tell.

4. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Yes but most programs which flag Flashget dont know how to tell the difference. And still deleate it.

5. TeraInnovations

TeraInnovations Registered Member

In some cases, decisions about detection v.s. usability have been made. For example, in the case of mIRC (used incredibly frequently in bots and other nasties), we have moved all detection into our 'PossiblyUnwanted' category, and dropped detection for some newer versions because of user complaints.

To Edwin: Your false positive for TC is the only remaining false positive. We are working on dropping that, and then fixing ~4 known bugs that were reported.

To beta v.s. available for purchasing: We have had 13 beta runs, spanning the past year, and everyone before this past run has expired. There are a great deal of users who did like ViruScape, but were unable to purchase it to re-instate their beta. We put the purchase link out there so that they could stay protected.

-Tera Innovations, Incorporated Support Team

6. StevieO

StevieO Guest

There's some info and links etc that be of use to you on here.

Viruses don't harm ignorance do! Removed

StevieO

No links to malware sites please-Ron

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2006
  7. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

I didn't buy NOD to deal with adaware as I have Adaware (lavasoft) to deal with that. :p

8. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

Where is that update at? I've just updated and the bug described is still happening.

9. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

Tried it a bit. Seems to run fine (very light), and gives reasonable protection as far as I can see. Although the on-demand scanner seems to have minor problems with scanning broken archives (gets "stuck", scans them forever until user interrupts).

The program has a nice, simplistic user-interface (IMO). Good job! :thumb:

10. TeraInnovations

Well, shortly might be an understatement ;) We are working on finalizing a couple more minor issues. You will all be notified when the large updates are available. Copies of ViruScape should update themselves automatically when we are finally ready to release everything.

To kjempen, what type of archive did you experience the 'sticking' with, and, could we obtain a copy of this archive? This should be fixed pre-release.

11. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

It was a broken .zip archive containing a trojan. Where/how do I send it to you? I tried http://www.terainnovations.com/upload.php , was this correct?

12. TeraInnovations

Yes, we have recieved the file, and reproduced the issue.

This will be fixed ASAP - Thanks!

13. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

TeraInnovations - i updated viruscape today and received a program update; whats new?

14. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

I tested it and the files that I scanned was not detect...
    Sorry...

15. TeraInnovations

We put out the first version of our major update yesterday. There were MANY scanner fixes, interface improvements, and tweaks which needed to take place. This thread started before we were done testing, leading to a lot of people using a very outdated version of ViruScape.

To tiagozt: What samples did you test it over? Are they detected by other antivirus companies? Could we obtain copies to add detection of them? ViruScape is <still> not released, as we have a few more modifications to make (not much, but one more false positive, and a couple more changes).

16. wildvirus88

I sent the samples using upload page... ;) (but I didn't receive feedback)
    Trojan.Banker.Win32.*** (i don't remember the ***)
    I believe that ViruScape will be better soon and I'll try again soon...

17. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

when i checked my computer today, it had performed a scan and found a FP:

Spyware.LdPinch.fr C:\Program Files\Stardock\Object Desktop\IconPackager\builder.icl

this also brings up a request for ur product and website: some form or way to submit false positives.

18. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Ladies and gents,

This software does have the interest of quite a few, taking the 160+ postings in this thread in the meanwhile.

Nothing wrong with that at all. That said: this thread is turning into sort of an unofficial support forum. As it is, we already do host an official antivirus support forum over on this board, and that is and will be the one and only one.

No offense intended, but it looks like you gents are in need of a support forum of your own on your own server(s), TeraInnovations.

As for members over here: no problem in discussing this software between all of you over here ;) - feel free to start a new thread for that .

As for specific issues/questions to the software vendor in question as well as answers expected, please use their contact form:

http://www.terainnovations.com/contactus.html

while waiting for the software vendor to have his own support forum set up on their own server(s).

This thread will be closed within a day or so from now.

regards.

paul

19. wildvirus88

I disagree with you, Paul.
    I believe that is very good we have a forum, official or not, of any software.
    I know that isn't the objective of the forum, but as we have a NOD32, Look'n'Stop and Ewido forums, I see no problems with TeraInnovations forum here too.
    COurse that I believe that ViruScape need to create its own forum in its server, but...

20. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Just some food for thought of one thing Paul was saying that I personally feel you mis-understood....of course I could be wrong about your thoughts :doubt:

bold\underline mine

21. Marcelo

Marcelo Registered Member

Just submit you false positives in the same page you submit undetected/suspect samples. I already submitted 3 false positives that were quickly fixed.

22. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

I'm sorry to hear that this thread might be closed down soon !

I would have thought that encouraging people along with new ventures and programs might benefit us as well as them in both the short and long term.

Many beta and new products from a large variety of different sources seem to receive ongoing support in these forums. Also positive and negative reactions to many programs are allowed daily too, which is as it should be of course, as long as remains cool headed.

Just take the case of AntiVir/Avast as an example. A lot of issues have been raised for and against, and a good proportion of those would fall under the catorgory of support in one way or another. People have been seeking answers to all sorts of questions that they couldn't get from official quarters. So having a place like this to both ask and hopefully receive them is most welcome to all concerned.

StevieO

23. Paul Wilders

Let me add to Bubba's reply: right from the start, we've decided to host just one dedicated and official forum for a specific sort of software. The main reason for this is a simple one: we want to avoid conflict of interests. In this context, an unofficial as well as an official TeraInnovations support forum is out of the question over here.

Indeed that seems the one and only logical way to go ;) .

regards,

paul

24. Paul Wilders

I didn't close it so you and others would be able to comment on this.

No doubt about that - we do agree here.

True indeed; on ocassion a representative from a security software company jumps over to comment - and that's it. There's a distinct difference in this case though: this thread has turned into a dialogue between a software vendor and interested board members. In effect, this thread has become an unofficial support forum. As stated before: that's not how it works over here and for good reasons.

You've pinpointed this issue at hand! See my comment on this post above.

As stated before: no problems (as ever) in discussing, testing, commenting all kinds of software - this one included. That said: vendor support should be provided by the vendor by email or his own dedicated support forum hosted on his own server(s) or elsewhere. In the end that's the one and only way to go, for the benefit of both the software vendor and his clients/interested others.

regards,

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.