Viruscape....A new antivirus on the market?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by BadWolf, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfeyes89

wolfeyes89 Registered Member

Re: A new antivirus on the market?

ok im not saiying ur products bad i would try it but i love nod 32 and am nvr going back. But by the loosk of it i think this av will probably be pretty good. IF the the company doesnt go bankrupt.

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

It's against the TOS.

One way or another:
    either rock-solid evidence should be provided,
    or apologies are needed.

3. TeraInnovations

TeraInnovations Registered Member

Bankruptcy usually does stop companies from prospering ;)
    We really hope it does well as well, and we will keep everyone informed as it progresses.

Thank you for your support and interest!

-Tera Innovations, Incorporated Support Team

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I wish you the best of luck in your development.

5. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:rolleyes: Gee I was just hoping it would be another "freeware" program that had been tested and verified safe for human consumption. Is there anything like the FDA for these type programs? If not perhaps there should be!

Thanks
    Wildman
    :ninja:

6. TeraInnovations

Software on the market is never totally secure. To select a frequently criticized, but much used product, I'll look at Microsoft Windows. Windows is a very complex operating system and contains many bugs. A majority of computer users use Windows even though they know there are flaws. No product can ever be perfect. Testing can only go so far.

We have not officially released the product yet which is why it is not 'tested and verified safe for human consumption'. We didn't start this thread and don't really know why it came up at this time, as we have not worked on advertising at all or promoting it.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  7. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Another OT post removed.

Everyone realizes that thread moved fast earlier and hasn't been perfect - but from here on it remains ON TOPIC as previously requested - the topic being the software.

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

@TeraInnovations- If your AV has as much moxy as you do, it's almost certainly going to be a fine product when it's out of beta. By the way, I learned a lot from the exchanges between Happy Bytes & TeraInnovations. Iron sharpens iron (Proverbs 27:17).

Great discussion with JUST enough Mod squad involvement to keep things within reasonable boundaries.

I shall be closely monitoring this AV's progress in days to come -- that's for sure.

9. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

well i decided to try this AV and its runs very light ad it works fine alongside avast. using the setting for detecting "possibly unwanted applications" the scan found no virus tho it found "Spyware.agent.du" in C:\Program Files\XnView\PlugIns\cpa.dll. a FP i assume? also, TeraInnovations, would you consider viruscape to ever have an advanced mode or settings for us users who like tweaking?

10. TeraInnovations

What would be in the advanced mode?

We have thought about this, and dont see much of anything we could put into it.

As for the false positives, they are a work in progress. If any others are found, please report them and they will be taken care of as soon as possible.

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

well for resident protection, maybe the user could have options for customizing actions taken when a virus is found. a list of those actions could be: clean, delete, quarantine, clean, or prompt. also an exclusion list for resident/on-demand scans would be of help to some people. another advanced option would be which objects to scan like all files, only certain extensions, whether to scan archives or mailboxes etc.
    i have never rele thought how to advance such a simple AV.

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

13. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

Hi,

Just a simple question: what are the certification of this new antivirus?
    ICSA labs? Check-Mark? Vbtn? or none?

As a sceptic voice not involved in the sofware industry, i really doubt of the new product which will be a revolution in the AV market place.
    There's many publishers with a long time of experience and expertize.
    New does not always mean better; and if better of faster
    ( http://immunesoft.com/News/index.html ), a proof of concept or independent results are required.

I jus see only great but legitimate marketing.
    In all cases, best whishes for this new AV: more prodcuts on the market, more choices for consumers.

Reagards

14. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Don't you agree that your question is an impossible one? A beta which even isn't really released, as we could read here, won't have any marks yet form anyone of course.

15. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

I have to give this AV a 4.61 out of 5.00 on spyware/adware/junkware protection, but it does list a few false positives during a scan.

David

16. TeraInnovations

Again, we are working on the false positives currently. We are doing some testing with a third party right now and waiting for a response back.

As for what ImmuneSoft said, this is not our words, and is somewhat over exaggerated (as no one should ever make that claim about their self). I will be emailing ImmuneSoft to modify this comment, as it is unprofessional to have this kind of a comment.

ImmuneSoft was started by a well respected security expert and I believe his opinion is important.

We strive for simplicity in our program. We do not have a quarantine implemented because it is really unnecessary in our opinion. Maybe some feedback on this would be helpful? When a virus is found in the on-access guard, Clean, Block, and Allow are shown. There is an exclusion list in the options. Scanning only certain file types is pointless, as a file could be executable but masquerade as another file type. We have a checkbox in the Scanner option which asks to scan compressed files or not.

I believe all necessary options are there (or atleast most) - all under the "Options" screen.

17. virustracker

virustracker Registered Member

Hey! I'm a Joe!

But I'm not a Vx'er.

To the contrary, I've developed over a dozen antivirus engines; and started the WildList.

I took a quick look at the Tera Innovations product, but I haven't tested it against the current ItW threats. If it's still in beta people should wait until someone like AV-Test.org or VirusBtn.com has tested it, before comparing it to established products.

Cheers,
    Joe Wells
    Chief Scientist, Security Research
    Sunbelt-Software.com

18. Edwin024

In any case VS is a very nice program when it comes to CPU and RAM...hardly any use at all :) vs32.exe 0 cpu and 2.488 kB RAM. Impressive!

19. TeraInnovations

As ViruScape is written in low level languages without the use of 'simplification tools' (i.e. - MFC) it runs with very low memory needs and scans quite fast. Yet - it takes ~10x longer to develop :)

To Joe - Hello :) You have quite an impressive resume. If you wouldn't mind testing ViruScape (even if it would be impossible to post the results publically [against WildList policy?]), it shouldnt take long to get an estimated percentage of detection, and we wouldnt mind knowing that just to know if what we're doing is working well :) [Note: we do not mind keeping this information under strict confidentiality]

If you could spare a couple minutes out of your day, this would be greatly appreciated.

20. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Persoanlly i am one of the ones who likes a quarentine as if i get a F/P during an On Demand Scan and deleate something critical (it has been known to happen to me on occasions, most notebly with AntiSpywares) I like to have the quarentine so i can restore the F/P back to its original place with little damage being done.

As also, from i remember reading a post a few months back from a moderator here who was using Kaspersky and it automatically deleated something critical and did not send to quarentine. So in his case i believe a full O/S restore was needed to bring that item back. If the quarentine was there it would have been much easier to restore that vital F/P item.

Just my opinion. But like i say i am only an Antivirus user not developer so am speaking only from a personal view point. But i agree with you about On Access, as i personally do not think a quarentine is in anyway needed for on access scans.

Also another suggestion for On Access, especially if you scan for spyware too. You most likely have covered this already in your application. But to me a working exclude feature is vital. As i use programs that i know are Adaware/Spyware but still wish to use them (e.g Flashget. Download Accelerator Plus). So when i get on access popups all the time from my Antivirus as i am trying to run this program it is extremelly annying (this was infact the sole reason why i decided to switch from Mcafee to Kaspersky, as either it does not have or i could not find a working 'always exclude' feature on Mcafee Enterprise).

Hope this viewpoint helps
    Anthony

21. TeraInnovations

Well, as Edwin said before, we are going to make a 'submit false positive' feature, so, if someone does encounter a false positive, they can easily add it to their ignore list and send us the file.

The exclude feature in the scanner covers the scanner, commandline, shell extension, and on-access modules.

Yes, Kaspersky had a problem with Notepad, but, ViruScape does not delete automatically. As this is a new antivirus program and has not been tested NEARLY as much as the other products, it is unwise to make it automatically delete any files.

In a second version, after gaining some respect and more users that can test easier, may have an automatic clean function.

The <LAST> thing we want to have happen is to have someone have to reinstall their operating system because of our product having a false positive, and I believe we have enough measures implemented currently to prevent that.

22. TeraInnovations

We did however, just recieve a bug report from a tester that adding a directory to the exclusion list does not exclude it from the on access scanning. This will be fixed shortly, if the problems you may have had could have been related to this.

[EDIT] We are experiencing a few potential bugs with the exclusion feature right now. Will stay informed.

[EDIT2] The bug has been found. It is happening because the counting of the list started at 0 instead of 1, making VS run into a loop. Updates will be sent out shortly.

23. richo

richo Registered Member

A quick query to Tera Innovations. I keep seeing the words "beta" and "further testing" in your posts. However I see that your product is already available for purchase through your web site. Isn't this a little premature?

24. Edwin024

There are other companies that do quite the same...:)

Anthony: VS did not screem while scanning Flashget. This in contract with others I have tried.

25. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Flashget is ad-infested though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.