Virus: Svchost, Pagefile?--HELP!!

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by ervz, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ervz

ervz Registered Member

Hi,

I noticed this after cleaning a USB flash drive.

Mysterious files suddenly appeared in my hard drives, just outside of the folders.

• svchost.exe
    • Pagefile.sys, others - protected, cannot delete!
    • RECYCLER folder - protected, cannot delete!
    • System Vol.INfo folder - protected, cannot delete!

I noticed them when I browsed my internal drives. They are exactly duplicated on each of my four internal drives, just outside the directories. The svchost.exe file has a monkey icon and the Pagefile.sys is unknown icon. Also I noticed a new RECYCLER and System Vol.INfo folders.

I ran a full scan but ESET cannot seem to recognize them.

I have manually deleted the svchost file but the pagefile seems protected. I cannot also delete the RECYCLER and System Vol.INfo folders. It's giving me an Access denied message. I even tried on Safemode but no success.

Right now, I think it's messing up my sound. I have all drivers installed properly, i can see in hardware but still no device is showing up.

I'm pretty sure it's in my system and can do bigger damage.

I need your advice.

Thank you.

ervz

2. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

R U Using EAV or ESS
    IS IT UPDATE TO LETEST (3009)

3. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Hi, svchost.exe is correct system file located in %systemdrive%. If is located on other place, then it will be malware. Pagefile is reserved portion of hdd used as extension of RAM. Recycler is folder of Recycle bin and SysVolume is used by System restore and protected by OS, too.

The best will be, when you send logfile from analyse.

4. ervz

ervz Registered Member

Thanks guys!

It finally took its toll. My computer won't boot up!
    Now, I'm trying to backup my documents using an external HD mount and a MAcBook.

In the MacBook, I tried deleting those mysterious files but again, it's giving an error saying the files are protected!

I'm not sure exactly what version we are using. I just installed this last week after our deal with Kaspersky expired.

I will give update soon.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.