Virus Signature isn't updating on Server

Discussion in 'ESET Server & Remote Administrator' started by seg_fault, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seg_fault

seg_fault Registered Member

Running: ERA 5.0.242, Eset file security 4.5.12005.0.

Virus signature isn't updating, but my clients update properly, and modules appear to be updating properly also. Update gets stuck on nod2316.nup - and is in what seems to be an endless loop of trying to update - the abort button does not abort the update process - the only way to end the process (that I can see) is to reboot the server.

I have cleared both the cache via ERA, and the cache on the local server (didn't remedy issue). I thought it might have been a problematic Windows Update, so I uninstalled KB2724197 to test (date range of windows update install was within 24 hours of last successful definition update), updates were initially successful, so I re-installed to see if it was just a bad windows update install, and the issue started again. Clients with this hot-fix do not exhibit any problems that my server does.

I also created a customer care support request via the GUI (yesterday AM), and haven't heard a response yet... but never received an email confirmation either.... maybe it failed? :(

I appreciate any assistance provided.

Regards,

seg_fault

2. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

If you didn't receive an email confirmation that we received your support request, it's very likely that the request didn't get to us. It wouldn't hurt to resend the support request through this link or even contact us here.

3. seg_fault

I may have spoken too soon. My clients with the KB installed (mentioned above) started exhibiting the same problem my server is. Not excited.

4. Rubberduck

Rubberduck Registered Member

On my environment still the same clients are not updating.

5. seg_fault

My updating will work if done locally. (created a different profile for "internet updating" when remote users are not connected to RA Server) - but not when connected to the RA Server. When I created the thread, my server was the only device exhibiting issues - now the clients aren't playing well with my RA Server - which now matches the thread you started.

6. seg_fault

ekrn.exe is constantly between 30% and 40% CPU usage (even if it isn't doing anything) - "Protection Status" of application interface indicates my virus database is out of date, while if I click the "update" button of the application interface it insists that the updates are not necessary and the virus definitions are current.

7. jst3751

jst3751 Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=335447
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=335822

I had this problem coming into work Monday morning. Quickly did a search of the forum, found the above posts. On the server, did the following:
    1) Stopped the "ESET Remote Administrator Server" service.
    2) Went to (on server 200:cool: C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Remote Administrator\Server\updfiles\ and deleled the lastupd.ver and upd.ver files.
    3) Went to (on server 200:cool: C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Remote Administrator\Server\mirror\ and deleted the update.ver file.
    4) Restarted teh "ESET Remote Adminstrator Server" service.
    5) In the Remote Administrator Console, triggered a server update.

Updates began working again.

People, this is not rocket science. It took me a whole 30 minutes to norraw the problem down, research it and implement the fix.

That means get off your duff and do your homework.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2012
  8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If somebody's still having an issue, I'm willing to connect to the computer remotely and check it out myself. Just let me know.

9. seg_fault

jst3751 - Thanks. I tried something similar before, and attempted your suggestions, restarted, (it failed), restarted, and the latest update finally took properly. Hopefully this doesn't occur again. If I have further issues regarding this, i'll update the post.

Regards,

Marty

10. Rubberduck

Rubberduck Registered Member

seq_fault but do You also have the issue I have that clients are not updating ?

I'm thinking - is it possible to manually copy latest version of virus DB to client, then may be "he will catch" next ones automatically.

11. seg_fault

The only client I am having issue with (now) is a file server. All other clients are (currently) updating normally. I thought I had it fixed with the above, but that was short lived.

12. seg_fault

Was requested by eset support folks to uninstall/reinstall on the client. Since I only had 1 client that wasn't operating properly, this was feasable for me. So far (knock on forum) my EFS Client is updating properly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.