virus signature database could not be update

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by beery, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beery

beery Registered Member

I using ESS 3.0.650
    When I go to manually run an update, it says it has completed successfully.
    Problem is if I run a manual update just minutes later it show " Virus signature database could not be update" and a pop up saying could not connect to server. i got this problem after update virus signature database to 3037. now can't update anymore. still show could not connect to server. I had reinstall and update again. the firsttime update it ok. but when i press update again it can't update got same problem. could not connect to server.
    http://img.siamcafe.net/ic/0coundnotupdate.jpg

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  2. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi,

I just update my french version 3.0.642 to version 3.0.650 (French) and I also received the same error message when trying to updateo_O

I have windows XP with sp2 (french), I have no proxy server and I have check my username and password in ESS everything is OK...

What is the problem and what is the solution?

Thanks,
    Atomas31

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You could try restarting your computer.

4. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please make sure that you have the server set to Choose automatically and a valid username and password is entered in the update setup.

6. schitzn

schitzn Registered Member

I just updated to 650. Its using virus db 2945 and when I click update I get the same message described above. I cant update full stop. It starts downloading and then it seems to stop and throw up this message.

I did an upgrade install, nothing else.

Unless their server is having troubles atm, then this appears to be a new bug.

Re: Marcos : Incorrect Username and password details throws up a different error to the one shown above in the screenshot.

7. Atomas31

@Ronjor,

I have rebooted my system but I still have this error message...

@Marcos,

The server is set to automatic choose server and a valid username and password are enter...

I have put a screenshot of the error. It appears that it could be an error from your server because it is writting (free translation ;) that this is an error from downloading a file from the update servero_O?

Can you confirm Marcos that this error is cause by a server from your end?

Thanks,
    Atomas31

Attached Files:

8. schitzn

All moderators here are not part of ESET. This is the official forum, however ESET company members don't take part. Hence, he cant check ESET's server.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Correct.
    Incorrect.

As this is the Official Support Forum for ESET, company members do participate.

10. Subaru WRX

Subaru WRX Registered Member

Mine wouldn't update either. I did a CLEAR UPDATE CACHE and it then worked. Might have been just a coincidence but give it a try.

Go to Setup on the top, then Advanced Setup, then select Update in the list on the left hand side, up comes CLEAR UPDATE CACHE box, click and then try it again. Worked for me.

11. schitzn

Good find there Subaru WRX. Worked for me. Thanks for sharing.

This is a bug as all I did was upgrade.

12. Atomas31

Thank you very much Subaru WRX, that works for me too and like schitzn mention it is for sure a bug since all I have done is upgrade my version from 3.0.642 to 3.0.650 like schitzn...

I hope ESET will fix this :D

Best regards,
    Atomas31

13. Subaru WRX

Subaru WRX Registered Member

I emailed ESET support yesterday before I did the above. Guess what they have told me to do in a reply I've received.

If they read my findings perhaps I should bill them ! :D

14. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

Checked, and having the same problem with version 3.0.650 Spanish. I cannot update the virus database, I'm stuck in sign 2945

15. beery

beery Registered Member

did'nt work for me. still can't update.

16. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

Clearing the Update Cache worked for me. Let's hope it was a glitch and nothing more serious. I had never seen this issue in ESS before this version.

17. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

I am having the same issue. I thought it was just me, but it is apparently a bug.

See this thread:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1227479#post1227479

I just loaded v3.0 after jumping through flaming hoops to do so, and it will not update past 2945.
    You can bet that I am very unhappy with this program. v2.7 was fine.

As if I don't have anything else to do, I will have to watch closely for some sort of patch, unless it comes via e-mail. I despise having my time wasted like this.

Apparently, WE may all have a problem with the winsock layer, whatever the hell that is. I am being asked to download some program, back up my registry, effect some changes, and pray that it works. Of course, ESET stated that I may end up having to re-install Zonealarm.

Garbage. Utter garbage.

18. Atomas31

Hi Luxeon,

Did you try to "clear update cache" like Subaru suggest? That seems to do the tricks to resolve the virus signature database error...

I also appreciate if someone from Eset could aknowledge this bug :rolleyes:

Best regards,
    Atomas31

19. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

I did that, and a whole lot more.

My issue is with EAV, not ESS. I stumbled upon this thread while Googling info on my problem.
    If you look at the thread I posted, you will see my ordeal.
    I went back to v2.7.

20. Atomas31

Well, I have no congrats to the ESET support. I have open a ticket concerning this issue with a link to this thread and ESET support just answer me that it is probably my username and password that is incorrect... Did they read the link we place in the ticket we open? Did they even understand what the issue is/was or communicate between them?

I am certainly not very impress with ESET support and even more, it is an user (Suburb) who finally found the solution to the problem that peoples got with update after upgrading to 3.0.650 :rolleyes:

Best regards,
    Atomas31

21. CarlB

CarlB Former Eset Employee

I'm fairly certain that their response about the username and password is pretty much standard protocol in those cases, especially if your ticket started out with a front-line type person. That was even Marcos's first suggestion to you. If they didn't read the thread, then I would call that unfortunate oversight but on here I've seen lots of people post threads about what they thought were complex issues that turned out to have simple solutions, and it is probably statistically pretty solid for them to have you check that first.

I'm glad to hear that clearing the update cache resolved the problem. As you can see in their online KB regarding update failures, checking username and password is step 1 and clearing the cache is step 2.

http://training.eset.com/kb/index.php?option=com_kb&Itemid=29&page=articles&articleid=98

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.