Virus Removal?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by schwine, Feb 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schwine

schwine Registered Member

Re: ESET Cybersecurity (version 4.0.62.0).

I have the above program and it has identified four viruses on Windows 7.
    However, it does not specify what the viruses are by type or name, and it has not quarantined or deleted them. It also does not offer the option to quarantine or delete them.

I have real time file system protection enabled, as well as "strict cleaning" in the cleaning tab, and all options in the "options" tab are selected.
    I've included three ESET screenshots with this posting to illustrate my situation.

As a result, although I know from ESET that there are four viruses on this operating system, I'm not sure how to identify and delete them.

Thanks for any tips on how to do this.

Attached Files:

2. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

It may be a good idea to submit a support request with your local ESET Office. If you're in the USA or Canada, the link is below. If not, PM me with your location (country alone will suffice) and I will forward the contact information to you.

http://go.eset.com/us/support/contact&ref=wsf

3. schwine

I have submitted a support request to ESET on a previous occasion about a similar situation. The response was that it is only the job of ESET software to acknowledge the presence of a virus on a computer, and not necessarily to identify or remove it.

As such, I wanted to reach out to the ESET user community, to see if they have had a similar experience with ESET software. That is, the acknowledgement of a virus, but not an ability to identify or remove it.

It would seem obvious that any anti-virus program must have the ability to perform all three stages in virus protection: detection, identification and removal.

In my case with the four viruses detected on Windows 7, ESET can only acknowledge the presence of these viruses, but cannot quarantine or delete them.

If any other ESET users have had a similar experience, please speak up!
    This forum should be about the sharing of experiences, even if the software in question is not performing in a satisfactory way.

I have now submitted my case to ESET support, but I'm not expecting much from them, given my previous experience with ESET suppport.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You mentioned Windows 7 but the screen shot above is from ESET CyberSecurity for Mac, not ESET NOD32 Antivirus or ESET Smart Security that are intended for Windows 7. Could you clear it up? Of course, ESET like any other security software not only detects but also removes malware.

5. schwine

I have a Mac computer, and as such, the Mac version of ESET, but I also operate Windows 7 on the Mac on a separate hard disc. I am able to scan the Windows 7 hard drive with the ESET software on the Mac side.

Here is the reply I have now received from ESET support.
    In order to determine what virus/es has infected Windows 7, the ESET log for that scan needs to be studied. Within the the log, the virus names are mentioned, but the user must manually find and delete the undesirable files.

Yes, I would have expected ESET to locate the virus files in question, and provide the option to quarantine and delete them, within the ESET Window or GUI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.