Virus protection - NOT FOUND Win XP x64

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by guitarfoo, Sep 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guitarfoo

guitarfoo Registered Member

Hi all, I've got WinXPx64 and upgraded/installed NOD32 Anti-virus from v3 to v4 the other day. Win Sec Ctr now does NOT detect ESET. I have re-installed 3 times to no avail, deleting hidden files/etc along the way. Is this possibly an issue with Windows?
    Win Sec Ctr shows virus protection - "NOT FOUND", and I get a constant notification icon saying my "system might be at risk", but NOD 32 seems to be functioning just fine.......

any ideas welcome -

............guitarfoo

2. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

3. guitarfoo

Tx for the reply ccomputertek. I have tried this fix as well, and all goes well until I'm in the wbem file when lo and behold - there has been no "repository" folder to delete! o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O? In various threads I have seen it referred to as rep.old, REP.OLD, REPOSITORY, repository - but since the first time I went in - none seems to exist. Command prompt has been unable to locate it either, giving a syntax error in the address.

I'm using Win XP x64 SP2, haven't tried this fix in safe mode - will this folder magically show up if I do so?

Not to further complicate things, and I dunno if it has anything to do with this problem, but I get an unexplained (no error message) critical stop sound very soon after the icon appears in the notification area, telling me of the security alert during each start-up.

- arg! :)

4. ccomputertek

You verify that at least both of those services we talked about in the other thread are running ? Sounds like your missing some registry keys then.What is giving no error on startup ? the eset tray icon is red ? should allways display an error if somethings wrong, try to set the log files in advanced setup of NOD to diagnostic records.

5. guitarfoo

Hmmm, not sure what you are getting at here. I guess I'm thinking that the critical stop sound after every startup is somehow related to the appearance of the Security Center (red) icon (showing - 'virus protection not found'). Following the critical stop sound, there is no window displaying any error message associated with said critical stop. The ESET tray icon is green all the way through this and remains green. NOD32v4 appears to work just fine.

quote :-""You verify that at least both of those services we talked about in the other thread are running ?""
    quote :-""Sounds like your missing some registry keys then.""

Please forgive me, but I need a little clarification on your query's to help me answer with confidence -
    1)--which services are you referring to here?
    2)--and yes, I cannot locate the 'repository' folder, it appears to never have been there.

Since last post :-
    1) I have set log files to 'diagnostic records'
    2) I have run the ESET manual uninstall program (safe mode). NOD32v4 then got re-intalled and still, problem persists........

-thanks for your time, and any help you can provide on this

6. ccomputertek

ok i got lost, forgot this is a windows problem and nothing to do with NOD, thought that error sound at startup had something to do with that. WINMGMT and WSCSRV are the 2 services.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  7. guitarfoo

Yeah, I stopped both of those services. I'm still unable to locate the repository folder, it appears to be non-existent. I've tried showing hidden files as well.......

Location is:-
    c/windows/system32/wbem/repository - correct?

-thoughts?

8. ccomputertek

correct.

I have no idea why windows is not recreating that folder, mabe you should run repair from your windows disc.

9. guitarfoo

Here's a screen shot of the wbem file

wbem JPEG.JPG

10. ccomputertek

could xp64 be different ? I doubt it, but not sure.The folder should be there me thinks.

11. Ronin12

Ronin12 Registered Member

I happen to run Windows XP Pro 64 bit and I see that I have the folder that you are inquiring about. Perhaps the other poster was correct about the repair being needed. Included is a screen shot which should be similar to the previous one that was posted.

Attached Files:

12. ccomputertek

I allways disable security center anyway, it's annoying and has no useful function, I know how I have my computer set up, I don't need some repetive popup reminding me the way I have things set and whats missing or not.Security center is completely optional, I would not worry about repairing a windows install as long as the rest of your system is functioning correctly.

13. guitarfoo

Yeah I was doing that but, I just wanted it to run as it had w/ NOD32v3, and I was worried about that critical stop sound on start up. Anyway..... I reinstalled/repaired windows and it appears to have done the trick. Eset and Win Sec Ctr are happy and the mystery critical stop audio alert is gone. Key word there, wanted - computers don't do what you want them to do, they do what you tell them to do :)

-tx for the help to anyone who cared to look, very much appreciated

.........guitarfoo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.