Virus? Please help.

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by tepe2, Mar 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Yesterday I received windows-updates on my computer, as usual the second Tuesday of every month. During installation of these updates, everything stopped. My computer freezed, I had to turn it off and on. But since then I have not been able to use my adm.account. When I log in, it freeze, and I can not do anything. The first couple of times I logged in, the program-ikons were there, but now all I get is a blue screen, and I have to turn off my pc. I have another account, and it seems to work. When I try to use Xpress recovery F9 at startup, I get this message: Hd does not support HPA. I notised that my anti-virus Norman updated itself yesterday, about the same time I received windows updates.

Anybody know what to do?

One year old pc with XP serv.pack 2

Edit: Problem solved. It seemed to be related to the latest windows-update:"Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB 905474)". For some reason I can not install this update. I would, of course, like to know why. Can anyone help me?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

You should be able to get it by going here:-

http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us

Make sure you are using I.E. with the Internet security Zone slider set to medium (it is an Active X component) and if you are using a FW, or other security device, that blocks out Active X disable that blocking ability while you install.

3. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I get my updates automatic from windows update. I started my pc in safe mode, and turned back to an earlier stage before these updates. When updates popped up again I tried to install them, and the same problem all over again. Had to start in safe mode etc. So now I have this small yellow shield at the bottom of my screen, telling me that updates are ready to install. But I dont want to try one more time. I read at the windows-update forum that others have similar problems. I have also posted an error report to Microsoft support in my country (Norway). But I am not sure I will get an answer from them. Hope so. The update log at windows pages tells me that I have successfully installed all the latest updates. But that cannot be true, since the latest did not.

4. Kush

Kush Registered Member

Hello tepe2,

I also have had problems with Microsoft updates at times and the only way I can get them is to boot in safe mode with networking,then try to install your updates pick custom,and it should work.

This way your AV, AT and your firewall and anything else will be off,and the updates should install ,Good Luck

Added info:(Only IF REQUIRED)
    I see that they are installed or say they are installed on your computer to remove them please do the following but create a system restore point before you try this below to remove the half installed updates or corrupted ones.

For example, let's assume that the update number is KB839444. You have to remove all references to it in the Windows Registry manually.

To do so, go to Start/Run and type regedit
    Press Enter.

The Registry Editor window will open. In the left pane, click once on "My Computer", at the very top.

Go to Edit/Find and type in KB839444
    Click on "Search next".
    When it finds something, press Delete and click OK. You must continue the search because there may be several references, so press F3 to let it go on searching.

When another reference to KB839444 is found, delete it. Press F3 again and repeat the process, deleting all entries for that update.

After the Registry search is over, close the Registry Editor window, and reinstall the update in safe mode with networking. Make sure to restart Windows immediately after the reinstall, no matter whether it prompts you to do so or not!

Good Luck

Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  5. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thanks to both of you. I have now installed one of the two updates I received. I chose not to install Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474), and it works fine. I guess I will try later to remove the half installed updates or corrupted ones.

When I check the log, I can see that I have installed a Windows Genuine Advantage Notification earlier. Dont know why they keep sending this update. To get it once should be enough.

I also got som help in a Norwegian forum. A poster suggested I should download a free program called Dial-a-fix. This program is supposed to change som Windows settings and registry to default if I get it right. Never heard about it, but maybe I have a look at it.

Again thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.