Virus infections return in spite of doing the right things!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by petef, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petef

petef Registered Member

Everything is current. Typical Email is both web-based and Outlook or OE.

---pete---

2. petef

petef Registered Member

I like the idea of a sandbox, but I see one potential problem. If I have many customers setup with a specific sandbox app and something goes universally wrong with the app or it requires updates to get it working again, I won't be able to handle the work load in a timely basis and could wind up losing customers.

---pete---

3. petef

petef Registered Member

Sounds like all good advise above which I will consider. The thing is, I personally get tons of Email from trusted friends containing links or attachments of funny or interesting videos or websites, I mostly ignore them and I never even come in contact with any malware. I now use Facebook to share those kinds of things which makes the Email method seem obsolete.

Bottom line, due to issues of spam, and security risks, Email is becoming less desirable for certain kinds of communications involving groups of people. Facebook is definitely the better tool for the job.

---pete---

4. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

The software you choose have to have internal updater.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think it can happen with any other software you are using like AV, AS etc and even with windows update itself.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

outlook express isnt current it was replaced by windows mail and then windows live mail.

btw i have similar problems with customers getting reinfected. you can only do so much to educate users. i dont put a sandbox on customers computers because i know they wont know how to use it and i will get alot of support calls asking why programs wont install like they are meant to.

I have found out that most of my customers install the windows updates but have old versions of third party software such as java,quicktime,flash player etc which seems to be the infection entry.
    the problem seems to be that the major oem's such as dell install the major plugins to make it easier for the average joe to have a better OOTB experience but older versions of java dont get removed when you update it so malware can still exploit them.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.