Virus Definitions out of date

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Kurrado, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kurrado

Kurrado Guest

Hi,

I have got NOD32 v2.12.2 and it works very fine !

My question: When says NOD32 the virus definitions are out of date ? Is it after 14 days without update ? After 30 days ?

I set my system date 6 months further, and then it says they are out of date, not at 5 months, but only after 6 months !

Can I change this from 6 months to, let us say 14 days ?

I just want to be sure, that everything works fine, and if NOD32 waits 6 months to tell me that my virus defs are out of date, I am already infected by a virus I think :s

Thanks.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Why are you trying to do this, to try and fool Nod32 into allowing you extended use during your license period?

3. Kurrado

Kurrado Guest

What do you mean ? I only want to be sure, that (e.g.) when the software for updating the virusdefs doesn't work properly, that it will warn me as soon as possible, and not after 6 months !!!

4. Blackspear

I was asking you about your intentions.

It will.

It won't ;) :D

5. Kurrado

Kurrado Guest

Ok, I hope so...

Thanks !

6. Blackspear

I have asked someone at Eset to give a more definitive answer, it shouldn't be long in coming...

Cheers :D

7. anotherjack

anotherjack Registered Member

As far as I can tell and I'm sure Eset will have the definitive answer, it's 30 days and appears to be hard coded. I've been asking (see post 16 under "Remote Administration") for a while to have the notification timing be adjustable. In the interim, I had to add that functionality to our login script to pop up a box at 7 days and email the admins.

Jack

8. visiting

visiting Guest

Saying it's hardcoded to 30 days is contrary to what the OP stated about it apparenlty being 6 months on his system. Didn't warn when he changed the date to 5 months out, yet did warn when date changed to 6 months out......looks like it's hardcoded to 6 months to me!

9. anotherjack

anotherjack Registered Member

I stand corrected.

10. Kurrado

Kurrado Guest

Do you have the same problem ?

11. Visiting

Visiting Guest

No, I was just pointing out that you and anotherjack had conflicitng results....you apparently had tested it and shown that 6 months was the timeframe for the warning. He had said he thought it was hardcoded to 30 days...just pointing out the conflicting info....

12. Blackspear

It simply could be that in 5 months Kurrado's license expires and 30 days after that (6 months) it begins to warn...

As stated, lets not speculate, and wait for Eset to give a definitive answer...

13. Visiting

Visiting Guest

Well, Blackspear, if you're referring to me, I'm not speculating. You in fact are the one who accused the OP of things that he had no intention of. In fact, never did see you apologize for it either.

I'd also like to point out that the question was about NOD warning about outdated virus DEFINITIONS. The question had nothing to do with when his license would expire and his warning about that. Those are TWO SEPARATE ISSUES.

14. Blackspear

Being that for what other purpose you would set your system date to the future, and that as far as I can remember I have not seen this posted before, why would I conclude anything other than what I did. And apologize for what, I wanted to know the thread-makers intentions, and make sure those intentions were good, as there were not too many alternatives for what he was doing.

The poster made a reference to 5 months NOT displaying a warning, whereas 6 months did, as stated, this simply could be to do with when their license runs out and not to do with Nod32 actually taking 6 months to warn the user, which is more likely than not.

15. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

XP Service pack 2 will notify if AV signatures are out of date after only a few days....might be 14?

16. visiting

visiting Guest

Well you could have been a little more tactfull when you asked by saying "What are your intentions for asking this question" instead of accusing him of something.
    "Why are you trying to do this, to try and fool Nod32 into allowing you extended use during your license period."

Also, if what you are proposing about the warning is indeed true, speaking about the license here, then it probably is not warning AT ALL that the definitions are out of date....only that the license is expired/expiring.

17. visiting

visiting Guest

However, what he posted does imply that the warning was a message about the DEFINITIONS

My question: When says NOD32 the virus definitions are out of date ? Is it after 14 days without update ? After 30 days ?

I set my system date 6 months further, and then it says they are out of date, not at 5 months, but only after 6 months

So the warning specifically talked about the defs.....not the license.

18. Blackspear

Same thing, if you take your system to 30 days (in this case 6 months) where the license has expired, so to have the definitions.

I will not be surmising any further as it is pure speculation, though fairly logical, until we had a definitive answer from Eset we will not know.

19. visiting

visiting Guest

Yes, but your argument makes no sense to me. In order to try and gain something from this, to get extended time from his license, or definitions, he would have to set the time BACKWARDS....not forward. Setting it forward 6 months would not extend anything........I agree. Maybe someone from ESET will pipe in here and give an answer.

20. Blackspear

A simple bit of Dyslexia on my part. Yes setting it forwards only makes the license run out quicker.

21. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Adjusting the system date does not affect updating at all - doing so will not prolong or shorten the subscription period.

22. Blackspear

The origional question was:

When says NOD32 the virus definitions are out of date ? Is it after 14 days without update ? After 30 days ?

23. Hurricanetracker

Hurricanetracker Registered Member

It's beyond me why anyone would want to alter the system date to check this . You can simply see it by looking at NOD32 def-files and see how often they update .

sofar they have updated just fine with my NOD32

24. Hurricanetracker

Hurricanetracker Registered Member

In fact , just checked and last update is from 31-1-2005 , not bad if you ask me .

25. visiting

visiting Guest

It's really a very SIMPLE question:

Does NOD notify WARN when DEFINITONS are out of date?

WHEN does NOD WARN that the DEFINITIONS are out of date?

Can someone from NOD answer these two very simple questions without saying that you can open the program, look, etc....just answer these two questions!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.