Virus' created by AV Companies?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Trekk, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trekk

Trekk Registered Member

Hello guys!

I dont know if this is the right forum, but I figured I would give it a try. In the past 17 years or so I have noticed several instances where AV companies have had a *.dat release almost at the exact same time a new virus was discovered. A perfect example of this was Bugbear32; when this virus hit I was responsible for about 34 AV servers at a large State Agency. Upon learning of the new variant, I checked Trend Micro's web site and discovered they had already released an update. Now I realize its possible that I just heard about it after everyone else, but we were informed by Microsoft and I have to believe they would get the news sooner then most. I also realize its possible that it was just a variant of an existing virus which wouldnt require as much research, but you have to wonder. If these virus's didnt exist, then neither would the AV companies. What do you think?

Trekk

2. ---

Maybe true in the past, these days there are more than enough bad guys writting malware for fun for the AV companies to do this sort of thing.

3. Trekk

Trekk Registered Member

True, I probably should have said creating SOME of the virus's. If you think about it, AV companies probably show an increase in revenue everytime a virus is released. If this is true, then it would stand to reason they probably hope for damaging virus's.

Trekk

4. ----

Indeed. Or better yet annoymously release techniques on how to beat their competitor's products. "You think KAV unpacker is unbeatable, here let me teach you a trick...." :)

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I'm not sure the top tier of malware companies hope for damaging viruses....but their bottom line is affected monetarily sometimes when something of major importance hits the net. I personally have a Trust but Verify mentality. Meaning....I have trust in many programs available and know within me that trust will never recover if they played in the dirt. It would not take long for gossip and proof to hit the airwaves. The top tier of malware vendors will not jeopardize their products no matter how much money could be gained IMHO.

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

In Belgium, each time there is an outbreak of a new virus world-wide, software shops sell alot more AV softwares than usual.
    It was even on TV with alot of yellow boxes of Norton Anti-Virus in the background :D
    So new viruses increase indeed the revenue of AV companies, especially when the virus caused alot of damage.

Scare people enough and they buy anything, even security softwares, they don't understand or need, just to feel more secure. :rolleyes:

I don't think that some viruses are created by AV companies. Kids write these viruses for fun.

7. Notok

Notok Registered Member

VMyths has some articles that seem to lend support to the idea, at least indirectly. A vendor had also once told me that one of the common ways of doing things in the security market (at least for some companies) is that if there isn't a problem, then you create one. I generally refrain on speculating about things like this since there isn't any real solid proof of anything (duh), but I have no doubts that security vendors can play just as dirty as any other corporation.

http://vmyths.com/rant.cfm?id=279&page=4

8. ---

Well a lot of so called respectable security experts have dual identities, by day they are paid tons of money as consultants, by night they are part of the leet scene.

9. ErikAlbert

What means "leet scene" in English ? Not in dictionary..

10. Trekk

Trekk Registered Member

It means Elite. He was using d00dspeak :)

Trekk

11. ErikAlbert

Thanks. Elite I understand. We have exactly the same word in Dutch.

12. Trekk

Trekk Registered Member

Your welcome, glad to help :)

Trekk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.