Virus Chaser

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Saraceno, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

This has been mentioned previously, but I noticed Virus Chaser has updated their Australian website http://www.viruschaser.com.au where a single licence is AU $29.99 (about US $27.43). Vista version is mentioned as available.

Tried it out for a few days now and it seems to be very lean on resources, and provides a thorough in-depth scan (no false positives after a few days of scanning). No other problems experienced.

Few questions, without a Virus Chaser vs other comparison.

• Does Dr Web still provide the virus signatures/engine for this software?

• Will there be an update in the near future? The 5.0 version was mentioned on here around 2005. The current version I downloaded is 5.0a.

• Anyone else using the program, and is it all running ok?

:)

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Dr.Web still does provide the signatures as well as engine for this software. An update in the near future is unknown, though I think a new version is due later this year. The problem with the current version is that except the Chinese version, the heuristic analysis of Dr.Web is not enabled (at least it wasn't when I used it), with no option to enable this feature. This was done to reduce the FP rate, because customers were not happy with the FPs the software produced when it had the heuristics.

3. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Ah, so that's why.

The detection rates for this are now worse off than DrWeb's. I was wondering why. And in any rate, I wouldn't put much faith in a product that hasn't seen engine upgrades since 2005.

4. Firecat

Its not just due to that as well. It seems they have not upgraded to the Dr.Web 4.44 engine at all, as the update packages I downloaded still showed version 4.33 for the Dr.Web engine. I remember when I used it, I regularly used to send off an email to the support team telling them about the latest engine version and asking when VC would get it. VC would get it as well within the next two weeks. I don't know why they have not upgraded to the 4.44 version though.

5. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Thanks for the information. :thumb:

Are there any recent tests on its virus detection rates, or would it be similar to DW 4.33? Only found tests from two years ago.

Don't mind the simple interface, and the virus update information in the event logs. If detection rates were/are at a solid rating, then combined with how light it is, not too bad at all.

Positive would be if it does well over in Asian countries then at least Dr Web would see some funds coming its way.

6. Firecat

It usually runs trouble free, never had a bug with it, ever. If only they'd expose the full power of the Dr.Web engine, I'd still be using it because I really liked this product. Also, they add their own signatures as well along with Dr.Web's database, so its possible it provides that extra protection in Asian countries :)

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

maybe drweb havnt allowed them the heuristics and any engine upgrades.

8. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

In a word: no. As in no, it doesn't.

DrWeb has been consistently kicking VC's behind during the few months I've been paying attention to it. Why not just stick with DrWeb? I don't think VC offers anything that DrWeb doesn't.

9. Firecat

I was speaking of that as a theory, to be honest I never really saw VC doing better than Dr.Web in practice. For now I think it is indeed better to stick to Dr.Web instead of VC....And yes, Dr.Web offers all the features of VC now (except the encrypted quarantine) and more as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.