Virus Chaser - free antivirus using Bitdefender's scan engine

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by roger_m, Nov 25, 2014.

1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Virus Chaser 9.0 Enterprise was released a few hours ago. Despite it being an "Enterprise Edition", when installing it you have the option to install it as a free personal version. Its licence doesn't expire until December 31, 2020.

vc1.png
    The product key is generated automatically, I just blanked it out.

The interface has been completely redesigned, and looks much better than the old interface which looked very dated in my opinion. As with the previous version it is using Bitdefender's scan engine alongside its own scan engine.

vc2.png
    vc3.png
    vc4.png

The website is only in Korean. Here are the download links:
    32 bit
    64 bit

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  2. roger_m

More screenshots:
    vc5.png
    vc6.png
    I don't recommend using the registry optimizer, as it cleans the registry automaitcally without giving you the option to see what will be deleted, so you can't check for false positives.

vc6b.png
    vc7.png
    vc8.png
    As you can see, thankfully Virus Chaser can be configured to not automatically quarantine threats.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  3. quietman

quietman Registered Member

How many different AV products are " re-packages " of the Bit-Defender engine ?
    Does anybody know ?

It seems like there is a new one every week !

4. roger_m

@quietman Too many products to list. But, Virus Chaser has been using Bitdefender's engine since at least 2011.

5. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Thanks Roger!

6. tns

tns Registered Member

Can you please mention the performance and detection rate?

7. roger_m

So far, it seems pretty lightweight, but I need a few days to get a more accurate opinion. As for the detection rate, I have not tested it, but it should be good as it uses Bitdefender's scan engine. However, it seems like it does not have any proactive protection, which is a minus.

8. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Did you see any popup for registration or upgrade?

9. Scott W

Scott W Registered Member

Would you please explain this? o_O

10. roger_m

@Scott W Proactive protection checks for and intercepts potentially harmful actions caused by software and asks if you want to allow or deny the action from happening. It provides a certain amount of protection against threats that are not detected by an antiviruses signatures.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  11. roger_m

No. When you install it, the product key fields already contain the product key. You just click on the next and it registers Virus Chaser.

It would seem that if you select that you are using it for personal use when you install it, there are no popups suggesting you upgrade to the paid version.

It would seem that if you pay for it, you don't get any features.

12. Scott W

Thanks for that input Roger. I get that from Privatefirewall's HIPS function. ;)

13. roger_m

I have uninstalled Virus Chaser for the moment. It is difficult to remove completely. After uninstalling a driver remains in one the subfolders under the Virus Chaser folder in Program Files. I used to Comodo Programs Manager to trace and uninstall Virus Chaser. However, CPM was unable to delete the driver when when it did its forced deletion of files when Windows restarted. I also had the same problem when I tried to delete it with Unlocker. I was able to finally delete it with the forced delete in IObit Uninstaller.

14. Scott W

That's not good. Don't know why but I keep looking for a free AV that I might prefer to BD. From where I'm sitting BD still trumps the other freebies.

15. fblais

fblais Registered Member

When I uninstall a security app, after reboot I always open the Device Manager, then view, "Show hidden devices", to see what was left behind.
    You can then right-click on these, and uninstall them.
    Windows Sysinternals Autoruns is also a great tool.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

16. ufakai75

ufakai75 Registered Member

Stick with BD FREE...and no A/V worries.;):):D

17. Oximoronman

Oximoronman Registered Member

Virus Chaser support team told me that version 9 only can be used in Korea! I was shocked! Why did they tranlsate whole antivirus if it only can be used in Korea?

18. roger_m

I tried it again a few days ago, and it wasn't able to update its signatures. It looks like it is blocking connections outside Korea.

19. roger_m

I'm trying Virus Chaser 9 again. It was updated 6 months ago. Unlike last time I installed it, updates are working. Not only that, but they they are using very recent definitions. When I first installed it a few hours ago, and it updated, its definitions were just 3 hours behind Bitdefender's website. A few hours later when I did a manual update they lagged by just one hour. Currently its BD definitions are at version 7.68559, which is more recent than is showing on Bitdefender's website.

Virus Chaser by default updates every 4 hours, but you can change that to as often as every hour. For some reason, updates were turned off when installed Virus Chaser. But, it was easy to go to the setting and enable updating.

It's free, is very light so far, and so far seems very stable. I have no idea how good the proactive protection is.

20. liba

liba Registered Member

bitdefender is false positive king, bad antivirus.

nod32 is the best antivirus in the world!

21. roger_m

No it's not. It usually does better in testing than ESET products, and testing also shows it usually has no issue with false positives. Both are good antiviruses in my opinion.

22. liba

liba Registered Member

no no no, it's fake. Dont trust testing site

dont use bitdefender, kaspersky, avira... they're backdoor/spy and false positive king

only use NOD32, the real antivirus.

23. roger_m

Okay, I won't trust them or my own personal experience, and I'll trust you lol. Anyway, I'm not going to reply to any more of your posts as this is not a thread about NOD32, and there are existing threads about it.

24. roger_m

You're welcome.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.