Virus Bullein RAP test results Dec 2011 - Jun 2012

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by King Grub, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Kees - I suspect you would find Ad-Aware too heavy for your tastes.

2. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

ah ok my friend. Thanks..I will give it a spin :)

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Not a surprise as they use multiple engines from multiple vendors. The multi engine AVs are usually top of this test, the deal breaker is always performance. I believe the free version doesn't use as many engines so you can't really compare the detection rate.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  4. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Roboscan is as light as just about any other Internet security suite.

5. blasev

blasev Registered Member

you're welcome bro :D

agree, lighter than average :thumb:

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I was talking about Ad-aware.

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Roboscan free uses both engines. I have really grown fond of it. It is really quite and in my own malware testing it did very good. Not perfect, but very good.

Attached Files:

8. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I was going to use the Personal edition but ran into issues, can't remember what...maybe it wanted me to remove MBAM or something which is a deal breaker for me. Anyway, I thought the Free and Personal editions used VIPRE engine/sigs while the Pro edition used Gdata. Is this true? Also, if true, which edition is shown in the RAP test?

9. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Yes it is true. However, I do not know which edition.

10. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I wonder when VB will change this weird and confusing chart for something like a list with the results, would be a lot easier to read. :rolleyes:

11. Amin

Amin Registered Member

Hat off to Noobie :thumb:

yup, it isn't like a professional chart at all.

Regards,
    Amin

12. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

You have to look difference between Red or Black color in the RAP
    For EX Lavasoft has a great result but is older test (Dec 2011) and was tested Total Security that according to Softpedia use GData
    "For increased protection against malware, Lavasoft chose GData as their technology partner for Ad-Aware Total Security."
    Vipre is not so good, so why AdAware performed well is explained but is a old test
    The 2 strange difference to point are about Roboscan & EstSoft Alyac that are absolutly the same AV but perform different
    For me IMHO VB RAP is not so good if the same AV at the same time (both tested in june) performed good yes but different %:thumbd:

13. blasev

blasev Registered Member

exactly, because roboscan is red while Estsoft is black ;)

14. Romagnolo1973

Roboscan was tested in june for the first time (so is red) EstSoft was tested til 2011 but both was tested in june 2012 RAP so:
    VB Test has something strange on it, because is not possible seen difference between 2 AVs that are the same. or could be VirusBulletin likes Estsoft Alyac name better than Roboscan name :D
    For me VB RAP has a low value in my consideration

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

wrong, there can easily be a difference. Look at Avira Free and the other Avira.

16. clocks

clocks Registered Member

This may be of interest for those wondering about Roboscans two engines:

http://www.roboscan.com/aboutus/press_v.aspx?ai=114&cp=1

One thing that I think is unclear on their website, is if the $9.99 licence for Roboscan pro is for 1yr, or lifetime. I assume it is 1 yr, but I don't think it specifies.

Edit: Here we go,it's probably one year.

"How to Purchase and Renewal Roboscan?
    When your Roboscan license is expired or want to buy a new license, follow the License Renewal link or go directly to Roboscan website.

For existing Roboscan users, Roboscan will notify you of the renewal when you are near to the expiration date.

You can directly follow the link shown at the Renewal Window to purchase the license.

Otherwise, you purchase the license at Roboscan website, roboscan.com . "

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

The Tera engine is also very good. It isnt just Bitdefenders engine that makes this product good.

18. Romagnolo1973

avira pay has more security modules as ProActive and WebGuard that Free version missed, so is clear there is a little difference between the 2 in 32bit system as in this case (WinServer 2008 )
    Tested in 64bit system (where ProActive doesn't work) they still have the same score if test is with internet offline
    But Roboscan & Alyac are the same so there is something wrong on the test

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  19. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Nope, because it sounds like they had VB test only the Tera engine which is why there are two entries. Also you should take note that Roboscan is their english market name. Perhaps the Korean version uses only the ESTsoft engine, I don't know. I'll have to check out the website.

trjam has a penguin and soon it will be replaced. :D

20. ctrlaltdelete

ctrlaltdelete Registered Member

If you have access to the full report you'll see that Roboscan & ESTsoft score exactly the same in the June 2012 RAP quadrant. So, there's nothing wrong with the test.

I agree that it's confusing if you look at the Dec 2011 - June 2012 RAP quadrant on the website.

For example; You can't compare Robosoft with Coranti or Lavasoft in the Dec 2011 - June 2012 RAP quadrant, because Robosoft did participate once in June 2012, Coranti, Lavasoft and Auslogics did not participate in June 2012 and a previous result (with a different samples set) is shown.

21. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

Just tried out Roboscan myself due to all the enthusiastic posts about it, but I don't think it liked my system, and the detections weren't great based on my own amateur testing of nearly 600 'fresh' malware samples from malwaretips. (This compared to Malwarebytes, Kingsoft, and Panda 1.5 all detecting nearly all of the samples.)

Roboscan seemed to freeze often when I was attempting to configure it, even after a reboot, and I would have to force close windows. Scans would take ages to initiate, and a long time to get cancel a scan when I'd given up.

I can't trust or use an AV when it crashes and freezes. Obviously others will have a different experience. Personally I'll wait a bit longer for this software to mature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.