Virtualization...More Than System Drive?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Ed_H, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I have been looking at adding either Returnil or Shadow Defender and both work well in my setup (DefenseWall & Avira Premium). Is it enough to protect just the system partition or should all partitions be virtualized? How likely is it that malware could damage my data partition?

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I guess it may depend on what you do with your system. If you engage in risky activities then protection/virtualization of your non-system partitions is a good idea. For example, there are times when I specifically surf risky sites and or submit malware to companies. I would like something protecting my other partitions during those particular sessions and reboot when finished to continue normal activities.

AFAIK, Returnil is working on some sort of protection for non-system partitions. I have no idea how strong the protection will be or how it works.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

When I shadow my system I use Shadow Defender to shadow all my drives. Amazingly it even shadows my VM located on the d: drive, and that thing is huge. The directory is almost 55gb.

I do this is I play with Malware in the VM machine, and that way I know my host is protected.

Pete

4. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Peter2150 and innerpeace,

Thanks for the replies...

At least for the moment, Returnil can only do the system drive. So, that pretty much narrows it down to SD I guess.

5. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

Returnil 2.1 beta works on all the drives/partitions. For me, it's been stable.

6. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I tried it...liked the features a lot but lots of BSOD's. Mike said they were working on a new release a few weeks ago. Maybe I'll sit tight for a while with Returnil 2.0 and see if there is a new beta relatively soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.