virtualization for this situation

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by unnamed, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unnamed

unnamed Registered Member

computer shared by rowdy teenagers, who will visit any site without bothering about security

i'm thinking if i could just install one virtualization program
    no antivirus/antispyware/firewall
    only a web browser

worst case scenario - they visit a dangerous site, or download and open an infected file
    but when the computer is restarted, it's clean

is this a good idea?
    if it is, which virtualization program would be required for this situation?

thanks.

2. Boost

Boost Registered Member

3. culla

culla Registered Member

4. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Shadow Defender would meet your requirements.

No antivirus, firewall etc needed unless you want them.

They can open whatever they want and watch it wreck your system. Then, reboot and all is well.

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Returnil free (with AV) or Shadow Defender are great choices.

What operating system are you on?

6. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

If there is more than 1 computer on the LAN and infection during session starts scanning for other targets on the LAN, how will the other computers not using lite virtualization be protected?

7. unnamed

unnamed Registered Member

windows xp

8. s23

s23 Registered Member

Returnil free (for free) or Shadow defender (paid).

Returnil free only protect the system partition... shadow defender not have this limitation.

I think can be a good idea install keyscrambler free too... or something like this to protect logins stuff... think in this scenario: they go to a infected site and the computer got infected..... the subsequent sites/logins can be compromised until the computer is restarted.... so something to protect the PWs until this next restart can be a good idea...

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

yep, either one but that is what I did for my teenage son. It works. You can also get OpenDNS if you wish to keep someone from going to certain places.

10. pegr

pegr Registered Member

You haven't said whether or not the computer is a family PC that is also used by the adults for online shopping and banking and/or the storing of personal data. If it is, then you should also be taking data and identity theft into consideration when weighing up security options.

Virtualisation will prevent malware from infecting the real system but it won't mitigate against the possible consequences of allowing malware to infect and run within the virtual system. If this is not relevant to your situation then fair enough. If it is a concern, it would be a good idea to combine virtualisation with an antivirus program and/or policy restriction.

An alternative in this scenario would be to buy the teenagers their own computer and keep them away from the family PC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.