VirtualBox versus VMware and Parallels

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by aigle, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

From where I can get some widgets like Yahoo widgets?

2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

How about Opera Widgets? http://widgets.opera.com/

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Good idea but I want to run them always on Desktop even when Opera is closed.

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

5. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

@ Stem

A bit late but thanks for the feedback, I think I might check it out. I´m also interested in Parallels, I wonder how they managed to make it a lot smaller than VMWare (20 MB vs 150 MB) and it´s also a lot cheaper. But I still have no answer on my question from another thread: what do they mean with this?:

@ Aigle

You say about VirtuallBox:

What do you mean with this, are you saying that you can dialup from your host and have internet access on your guest OS?

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Exactly what I mean!

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

@ aigle, I don´t see how this is possible, are you using a dialup ADSL USB modem? Because with VMWare Workstation this is not possible AFAIK. :blink:

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It is marketing El Toro Poo Poo. See this from Wikipedia

Hypervisor
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In computing, a hypervisor (also: virtual machine monitor) is a virtualization platform that allows multiple operating systems to run on a host computer at the same time. The term usually refers to an implementation using full virtualization. Hypervisors are currently classified in two types: [1]
    Type 1 hypervisor (or Type 1 virtual machine monitor) is software that runs directly on a given hardware platform (as an operating system control program). A "guest" operating system thus runs at the second level above the hardware. The classic type 1 hypervisor was CP/CMS, developed at IBM in the 1960s, ancestor of IBM's current z/VM. More recent examples are Xen, VMware's ESX Server, and Sun's Hypervisor (released in 2005).
    Type 2 hypervisor (or Type 2 virtual machine monitor) is software that runs within an operating system environment. A "guest" operating system thus runs at the third level above the hardware. Examples include VMware server and Microsoft Virtual Server.

The term hypervisor apparently originated in IBM's CP-370 reimplementation of CP-67 for the System/370, released in 1972 as VM/370. The term hypervisor call referred to the paravirtualization interface, by which a "guest" operating system could access services directly from the (higher-level) control program – analogous to making a "supervisor call" to the (same level) operating system. (The term 'supervisor' refers to the operating system kernel, which on IBM mainframes runs in supervisor state.)

Pete

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I use dial up modem on my host XP sp2. Then when I open any browser in my guest OS- ubuntu, it can acess internet. No settings, out of the box type scenario. I did enabled networking in Virtual machine!! Can,t tell u more details as I have already uninstalled VMware.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It should still not be a problem, as you can set up host interfaces, and make these into a VM LAN, and then use a local proxy as pass through to your firewall for the Dial up. It may sound complicated, but it isn`t if you are using XP. If you are using W2k, then it can be a problem, as you would need to route these connections.
    Let me know your OS, and I will check on the setup you need.[/QUOTE]

Hi Stem, sorry to bother u. I will be thankful if u can give me some spoon feeding type of help here. I have XP Home.

Thanks

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      65 KB
      Views:
  12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think i am able to connect by this way.

Attached Files:

• vm.jpg
      vm.jpg
      File size:
      63.5 KB
      Views:
  13. Avail

Avail Registered Member

Hi everyone so can anyone confirm to me which virtual machine will be best to keep your original copy of your OS intact and safe from a deadly virus?

Thanks!

14. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    It does not work that way.
    You can create a virtual machine and use it - instead of your original OS, inside which the virtual machine software runs - to browse the net. If the virtual machine gets infected, you will be able to:
    1. Revert to a previous snapshot / copy.
    2. Install the virtual machine again.
    Mrk

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

May be he is asking for virtuaization products/ sandboxes. In that case there are many options,

PowerShadow
    ShadowUser
    ShadowSurfer
    DeepFreeze

Sandboxes: Sandboxie( free and paid), GesWall( free and paid), DefenceWal( paid)

U need to investigate further before u proceed.

16. Avail

Avail Registered Member

How come it does not work that way?? Your creating another virtual PC so if your VP can infected by a virus you can delete that VP and your original OS will be safe and sound. Right??

The virus is just infecting the VP so how can it infect your original OS? on the first page one of the users say viruses can still infect your PC whether it had a VP or noto_O??

Can you help me clarify this? Thks

Avail

17. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

The virus infects the guest OS (VM) not the host OS.

18. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Your host OS can get infected regardless of the VM.
    VM is a nice way of diverting some of the naughty vectors away, but it does not substitute the basic OS security. If your host OS gets infected, you won't be able to revert to previous state via VM. However, if your VM does get infected, you will be able to delete / revert to previous state.
    Mrk

19. Avail

Avail Registered Member

How would your host os get infected when your using the guest OS? Is there a way the virus can effect the host also? Unless of course you copy files from the guest os to the Host then yes it would be infected. But if it is just the guest then can't you just quickly shut down the guest OS and delete it?

20. Mrkvonic

Hello,

Quickly does not work - because human quick is a lifetime in PC terms.

But don't panic.

If you mean: Can my host be infected THROUGH guest OS running in a virtualized environment, by merely being there - without you actively copying files and such - then the answer is no.

But regardless of the VM, your host can get infected through its own communication channels. That's a different story altogether.

Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.