virtualbox how can i install a software ?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by mantra, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi

i download virtualbox , i know there is a portable version but i did not understand about the benefits of the portable version

well i'm a true image 9 users and i want to try paragon ,but there are conflicts between the 2 programs

they suggests to me to try it under a virtual machine or uninstall true image

well i would like to try it under virtual machine
    it's my first time , i use virtual box

i did a search with google but i found lots of tutorials about installing different os (like ubuntu or windows 7) under virutal box

i did not find a tutorial about install a software like paragon

well is there a tutorial that teach me how configure virtual box to isolate a program?

i'm under xp pro sp3 and sandboxie doesn't work
    thanks
    have a nice day

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Virtual box is a program that when you run it, it creates a window, which emulates a computer within that window. You set it normally by choosing what OS you will be installing, and giving it the size of the virtual harddrive space. Then, when you start the virtual box up, you will see a bios screen, just like your real machine does, only it is inside of a window.

After this you put a cd in or use an .iso (which the virtual machine can mount on its virtual cd rom) and then install the OS. It is just like you would see in the real box, install just the same. Once install of OS is done, then you will see windows or linux just like you normally would, only it is inside a window.

After this you can install programs, download, etc etc, into the virtual box, and it behaves just like the real world programs do.

The difference is that what you install or do in this virtual box, is contained within it. Normally it does not effect or touch your real machine at all. In this way you can test most anything with pretty certain that you will not effect the real machine.

Sul.

3. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

How about license issues,windows on windows for example,i guess its no point cause its the same hardware ?

4. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    but i guess it's not for me
    is there a similar program to test software isolated outside sandboxie?

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not true. A virtual computer is different hardware to the OS, and you do need the separate license. This is also true for many licensed programs. With them it just depends.

6. mantra

mantra Registered Member

outside os , i don't want to install an os in a virtual machine

i need only to install a program inside a virtual machine

what could i use?
    thanks

7. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I am not sure why you are going to all this trouble (VBox) if you have an imaging program. Just image your PC using TI, uninstaoll TI and install Paragon and try it out. If you like it and want to keep it you are done. If not uninstall it, reinstall TI and restore the image.

A simpler solution would be to use RollBack RX. Perhaps you could do the test with an evaluation copy of RX so you would not have to pay for it for just this one time use.

PS: if you are looking to replace TI I would suggest ShadowProtect. I have been using TI for years, I have a free copy of Paragon (current version) and I have ShadowProtect. By far SP is the better program. Really no contest.

EDIT: I also use RX but on a different PC than the one I have SP on (but that is likely to change) and it is excellent as well.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  8. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Well, you need to install an O/S in the vm before you can install the program in it ;)

I agree this is easier, and the two steps I underlined aren't even necessary if you use the ATI recovery disk. This procedure or the rollback suggestion from bgoodman would also be easier.

9. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    by the way virtualbox is the best virtual program?
    is the more light?
    i know there is a portable version, is good?

thanks again

10. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

You're welcome.
    What's best is what works best for the individual using one.
    As for light, not really, although reasonably modern hardware should be able to handle its load quite easily.
    I don't know anything about the portable version.

The trouble with VBox is it's easy to go back in time with snapshots but not easy to move forward again.

11. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

12. mantra

mantra Registered Member

is there a way to make an image of the os installed inside a virutal machine?
    what could i use to make the image?
    thanks

13. mantra

mantra Registered Member

14. culla

culla Registered Member

15. andyman35

Yes SymantecSVS installs programs into a virtual 'package' that's isolated from the real system yet runs as if it's been installed normally.You can activate/deactivate applications from the control console.

When activated the program will appear in Program Files,etc and runs just like any other but once switched off there's no trace of it.An example of it's functionality is you could install MSOffice then update it and export the package to another drive.You'll then have a fully installed/updated version that you can import back and activate in seconds at any time in the future,if you reinstall the OS for example.

A note of caution is that not all software can be installed in this way,such as some security apps.

16. bgoodman4

You keep referring to Symantec but the link you provide is to Altiris Software Virtualization Solution. o_Oo_Oo_O??

EDIT: AH! I see, Symantec has gobbled up another good company and or product. I wonder how long it will take them to ruin this one. Since the link is to a page where the product was published in 2007 I guess Symantec has not had a chance to destroy it yet,,,or at least the version on the linked to page is still OK.

Better grab it before Symantec gets around to "UPGRADING" it like they did with Roxio GoBack

2nd EDIT: just noticed this, could I trouble you to comment regarding does the comments apply to the CNET version linked to or not? (I suspect not but.....) Thanks.
    http://4sysops.com/archives/review-symantec-altiris-software-virtualization-solution/

Final question (for the moment): can you actually install the linked to product since its now owned by Symantec not Altiris? I expect you need a key of some sort to activate the program and Symantec may or may not provide one that will work with this particular version. Do you know one way or another?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  17. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

You can Export Appliance which will create the current state of your virtual machine in the industry-standard Open Virtualization Format (OVF). You could back up the exported machine for safe-keeping, then if you need it later you simply use the Import Appliance function to get it back. Keep in mind, however, this will not back up your snapshots. You will only have the state of your latest snapshot. Alternatively - and probably better - you could also simply use your Acronis image software which will back up your O/S and all your installed software and user settings along with the VirtualBox program in its exact current state including all snapshots.

If you go the VBox route, take the time to go over the manual. You don't need to read it all, but at least what you need to create a new machine using the wizard, as well as the installation of the guest additions.

Finally, you really don't need to to make things so difficult for what you are trying to achieve in your first post. The suggestions from bgoodman in post #7 are still the easiest for you.

18. andyman35

The current version is now paid for,the older version linked to is the last Freeware version and it has a universal license key so it's still ok.That version still functions as required although it's no longer directly supported.

As for the linked content,it appears to be valid in regards to the earlier version.

The thing is there is a more advanced alternative (VMWare ThinApp) but it is extremely expensive and this product,although it has a steep learning curve is ideal for testing software in an isolated state.

19. bgoodman4

WOW ---- that is expensive ---- I could buy 2 (or more) (high end) PCs for testing for that kind of money.

Not for the day to day user by any stretch. A much better route would be a full VM, even VMWare desktop would be a better solution. Only $189 plus a OS licence. Sounds quite cheap now.

Again,,,,WOW

OH ya, thanks for the info, I downloaded the free CNET version and will get around to trying it eventually.

20. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

It is still free for home users.
    You will have to download it from Symantec Workspace Virtualization
    .(You only need to install "Software Virtualization Agent")
    Panagiotis

21. bgoodman4

I do not see anywhere that it is free for home use, nor do I see where to download the product. Could I trouble you for links to both.

Thanks

22. mantra

mantra Registered Member

it's symentec , norton
    i'm scarry about their product

is a safe program?

thanks!

23. pandlouk

It is a part of Symantec Endpoint Virtualization Suite.

Click on the "Trialware". It will take you to a page where you will have to Sign up. After you create an account it will provide you the download links for "Symantec Workspace Virtualization" and "Symantec Workspace Streaming".
    You will have to download only the "Symantec Workspace Virtualization" zip file. After you download it install the "Software Virtualization Agent".

Panagiotis

24. pandlouk

Works great here.

Panagiotis

25. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

These programs have me interested. I spent quite some time reading the manual on ThinApps (Thinstall) last night. Couldn't find an answer to the one question I wanted - should I ever become a millionaire and be able to afford it.

They recommend you install over a clean PC. not a problem since I have a recovery partition on this thing that will bring it back to the condition of purchase, when Dell sent it to me. Then run ThinApps to get an image or snapshot of that clean PC. Then, install your apps in a second snapshot or image.

Question. When you're done playing with the applications and ready to shut down, does that second image remain for next time you're ready to use them? I shouldn't read stuff like that when I'm tired. I miss things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.