VirtualBox and VPN leaks

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by rawrware, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rawrware

rawrware Registered Member

Okay I can't seem to find this anywhere.

Specifications:
    VirtualBox Guest: *buntu family linux
    Host: Windows 7
    Mode: NAT (but can change settings if needed)
    DNS: google (host and guest) at the moment, but would love something more secure and less likely to be a botnet

If I secure the Guest OS against leaks with the VPN inside Virtualbox is it now safe?

Or will all the security in the VM be for nothing when the traffic hits the Virtual Network Adapter on the Host?

It seems like it should be fine the virtual adapter is set to specific DNS with the fields blank so I'm guessing that means its just forwarding on, but I'm getting a bit of a crash course. I can change whatever needs to be changed.

So tldr; If I secure the Guest OS and don't use a VPN for the Host is going to leak all my data to the ISP?

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Yes, if I understand you. You're secure if the VM is connecting to the VPN, and if you're using non-ISP DNS servers, and using shorewall rules to block non-VPN traffic.

If the VM and its VPN client are set up securely, what the host does is pretty much irrelevant. If you're also using a VPN in the host, then it matters how that's set up. Otherwise, all that matters is letting the VM connect to the Internet.

You don't need to mess with the VM's VBox virtual adapter. Just select NAT.

No. If the VM is set up properly, the only VM traffic through the host and ISP will be encrypted traffic with the VPN server.

But do note that the ISP does know what VPN service you're using for the VM. The only way to hide that is using another VPN service (or Tor etc) in the host. But then the ISP sees that one.

3. rawrware

rawrware Registered Member

Mirimir you are a saint.

I've been going through every manual I can find to hunt that answer down thank you so much. Learned a lot though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.