VirtualBox 3.0.10

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Az7, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Az7

Az7 Registered Member

2. Seer

Seer Registered Member

The download page reverted now to v3.0.8. Ouch.

3. Seer

Seer Registered Member

ssj,

I am sorry, but I thought this was just a "new version notification" thread. I am not much of a VirtualBox user (it never worked for me well until this release), but anyway - I doubt there is a need to backup your VMs before an update. Yes, by all means,if you wish to be on a safe side (who doesn't), uninstall your previous VB version. But I suppose you can just as well install it ontop.
    Why don't you just take an image of your system, then do an upgrade install and return to tell us how it went?

4. Seer

Seer Registered Member

It was quite some time ago (v2.some build #) and I haven't looked at it since. I had some troubles forcing a bridged networking (the mode I always use). Finally I found a workaround, but it was somewhat awkward.
    I had (and still have) 2 licenses for VMware Workstation, so I just gave up on VB... gave it some more time to mature, if you will.

You're welcome.

Sure, we all have our priorities ;) Just take your time.

Cheers,

5. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

My machines wouldnt boot up anymore with this new version. Back to 8 and everythings ok again.

6. Neoxellos

Neoxellos Registered Member

It's up again.

7. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Thanks for the update. Installed over top, as I've always done, 3.0.8 and no problems so far.

I've backed up only the snapshots with mixed success; without remembering the details, some of the last few snapshots would not load. Maybe my fault but did not bother researching, instead opting to revert to a previous clean image using my backup/restore software. You could try exporting the appliance and importing it into a new machine. This has worked for me no problem but have only tried on an existing installation, so I'm not sure if a new install will import a previous exported appliance. I would think it should. However, you won't have all the snapshots; only the latest current state, so beware if it's incumbent for you to go back to an earlier one. This is where saving the snapshots might help.

Three times consecutive I've installed a new version over top without issues.

Depends on fixes/updates of the newest release. I install the newest just because I like to have the latest even if I don't need it ;)

Maybe? Never tried but perhaps someone else knows.

8. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

You're welcome. Using it for funsies is my main reason as well. It's nice just to tinker with different software and have a play with malware now and again :D

9. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

No, I haven't used it enough yet to notice any difference. Maybe in a day or two I'll have something for you. Having another look at the changelog, the one that intrigues me the most:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.