Virtual Space On Drives....

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Oct 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

With sandboxie, shadowuser pro, deepfreeze, and trustware's antimalware, which one do you guys use and when?

I run sandboxie for my browsers now when I used to use shadow user pro, though didn't like the whole reboot and commit thing.

What about deep freeze, how does that work compared to shadow user. I asked this before but no one really answered me, though some people use them side by side - why would you want to similiar programs running side by side?

How does Trustware's Antimalware compare to these?

dja2k

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Deep Freeze doesn't belong in this list because it doesn't work on virtual space or image principle, according to Faronics Support when I asked.

I like DF because it is very restrictive and no-nonsense. Since I no longer make constant changes to my system, rebooting in thawed mode to install something new, then rebooting in frozen mode, is not a hassle.

Since C:\ is always restored on reboot (it also protects the MBR and the Registry) I don't have to defrag, clean out temp files, worry about corrupted systems files, changes to the Registry, etc. These are great side benefits.

A great product in certain setups.

regards,

-rich

3. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

So Deep Freeze is better IYO vs Shadow User Pro. In your situation about installing software and disabling Deep Freeze, wouldn't that be the same as commit to changes of Shadow User after restart? Okay how about going without any of them two and using sandboxie or trustwares antimalware just to keep stuff off when using those browsers and programs it monitors?

dja2k

4. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

No, not necessarily better, just different.

Yes, in the sense that you make the decision to approve the installation.

I've read about those products in these forums, and they sound attractive. One would have to try them out and decide what kinds of user interaction you want - each is quite different.

With DF there is nothing to do until you want to install a new program. It just sits there and keeps your C:\ clean.

regards,

-rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.