Virtual Software

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by luanme, Dec 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luanme

luanme Registered Member

I need help in finding a good, free software that creates a virtual session of your computer within your computer. Inside this session you would be able to mess around with anything (e.g. test software, surf the web carelessly, test downloads, etc) without worrying about screwing up your actual computer.

You guys heard/use anything that resembles this description?

2. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

If you have the necessary system resources you could look at running windows or linux inside a virtual machine with the free virtualbox. Then you're free to do whatever you like to the virtual machine without fear of messing up your real system.

4. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Virtualbox has snapshot ability. 1,2,3,4-goback to 2; you lose 3,4; keep 1,2 see.

Virtualbox is a little DIY. You configure network to talk from guest to host for internet access. Also, you can run 2 instances of Windows 1 license, but you have to configure Virtualbox to replicate your bios. If you have 2 or more licenses, no problem.

Another option if I recall correctly, Vmware Converter will make a copy of your current install or a Virtualbox image. Then use VMware Converted in Vmware Player.

5. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Windows SteadyState, if you want to test across reboots.

6. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

The Returnil Free version is all you need. Do anything you want - reboot - and it's back as it was before.

7. 2good

2good Guest

Has anyone tried Icore its still in beta looks interesting though , I would love to hear your opnion on this one

icoresoftware.com/download.php

8. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

I've been test driving Shadow Defender for the past week or so and this thing is great. Install and application...see whether you like it or not...then reboot and it's gone. It's also very easy to use...unlike Windows Steady State in comparison. Returnil is nice as well but I had some file corruption with it on two different occasions so I'm a little bit put off by it. Comodo DiskShield is very similar, at least IMO, to Shadow Defender but nothing near as polished (yeah, I know, it's still in beta).

I recommend Shadow Defender to everyone.

Later....

9. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Comparison:
    Returnil is best for softwares that do not require reboot, since it does not require reboot to enter shadow state.-->stable

In order to contunue the shadow state , shadowuser is the better,but it requires reboot to enter shadow state.-->unstable shadow state in case of improper shutdown.

Best featured software is comodo diskshield --combination of returnil and shadowuser ,but it is in beta and very much unstable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.