Virtual machines and internet access

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Simply the Best, Jul 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hi, yes i saw your other thread, but at the time didn't feel i was able to contribute anything helpful, maybe now i can ?

There is some free software that can easily install/run XP on a USB drive. It was released about 3 - 5 years ago, and also updated since then. I can't remember the name of it though, i think it began with a C, but don't hold me to it. The following is similar i believe, but not cheap. Just included it tas an example.

Possibly someone else can remember it and let you know, if i do i'll post it.

DIY way, of which there are several. From Cedric Collomb of Unlocker fame.

Of course you can also run an OS live from a CD.

They "might" be ways you could achieve what you want to do ? Hope so :thumb:

2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

3. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

I did not understand completely what you want to achieve but in the thread Virtualization and Inverted Firewall I explained to huangker how to use a virtual machine as a gateway for the host.

hope it helps,
    Panagiotis

4. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Are you thinking of Mojopac maybe?

Quite easy to copy/paste a folder containing an XP VM/VHD to a thumb drive and run it from there.

Of course the host will need to have Virtual PC installed but it seems to work OK.

Starts off a bit slow and jerky but gets better after a little while.

5. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Yes indeed i am, thanks for deducing that :thumb:

I thought it began with a C, but it ends in one :D

So you've obviously tried it, do you still use it ? I never got round to it, but had it in the back of my mind that "one day" i might. Now i know it's M not C that is :D

6. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

I did try it but it was early days and it may have improved.

Seemed quite usable at the time but if I remember right the VM ran from a thumb drive was on par or even a bit better performing.

I haven't looked at Mojopac in a long time and no doubt it would have improved quite a bit.

Don't think I'll try it again as I've got a bit on my plate atm but if you decide to give it a run let us know how it goes.

7. pandlouk

You can achieve this with a vm acting as a gateway.

How to do it (taking as a reference the thread "Virtualization and Inverted Firewall"):
    After you configured the above just use ForceBind to force the applications to use the V2 nic (for the programs that you cannot configure the proxy).

For those that you can modify the proxy settings, use as proxy the IP of the V2 of the guest machine (e.g. 192.168.195.3).

Panagiotis

8. pandlouk

It seems ok.

Have you enabled/configured Internet Connection Sharing on your guest machine? Without ICS the xp firewall of the guest will not allow the packets of the host to pass through.

Also on your host adapter maybe you should add both Gateway and DNS server the IP of your guest. Try both 192.168.56.101 and 192.168.56.104 (before and after they are bridged)

Panagiotis

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  9. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Offtopic:
    @Simply the Best

Looking at your Network Connections picture, reminds me of malware.
    Wireless Network Connection 3
    Local Area Connection 6
    1394 Connection 2

A relative had an infection that would increment network devices.
    Have you been mucking with your network devices drivers?

10. dialxdrop

dialxdrop Registered Member

Pandlouk, I have been trying to follow your instructions but I am inexperienced with NIC's, changing default gateways, etc etc. if its okay with you can you help me with your steps? (I am using Windows XP + Using VirtualBox)

First, to set up the two virtual NIC's, I go to VirtualBox and go to Network Adapters and have a) the first network adapter as Bridged Adapter and b) the second as Host-Only, and check mark both as "Cable Connected." Is this correct so far?

When you are talking about physical and virtual NIC's, are you referring to the "Network Connections?."
    If so, I have the following Network Connections on my host:
    1.Local Area Connection (is this my P1?)
    2. VirtualBox Host-Only Network (is this my V2?)
    That's all. Where is my V1?

Since I don't have an understanding of the terminology, I am a little lost about what to do with what in your instructions:

Your Instructions:
    Step 1: Host machine:
    P1, V1, V2: You must set the default gateway for the host machine with guest's ip address.

Now first how do I find this default gateway of my V2 from my guest machine? You said it is my guest's IP address, so doing an ipconfig on the guest machine shows 3 connections each with an IP address, Subnet mask and default gateway. So I would use the IP address of the local area connection 1 as my guest IP? (Let's say 192.168.195.3). Or do i use local area connection 2 or 3?

Okay, when you refer to Host machine and P1, V1, V2, you are referring to the Network Connections on my host machine?
    So Local Area Connection is my P1, VirtualBox Host Only Network is my V2? Where is my V1? So I am supposed to change my default gateway of my V2 to the IP address from my guest machine. So I would be changing the VirtualBox Host Only Network's properties.

So basically I would go to VirtualBox Host Only Network's properties, TCP/IP Properties, Use the following Ip addresses and manually enter IP address, subnet mask, and Default gateway? I would enter my regular IP address, subnet mask, but change the default gateway to 192.168.195.3?

Step 2: guest machine:
    P1, V1, V2, okay so I don't see any instructions here but important notes....

So basically in this case I would enter 192.168.195.3 into the proxy fields. But what would the port be?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.