Virtual Folder "My Documents"

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ErikAlbert, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SlimJim

SlimJim Registered Member

Hi I came across this thread searching for the answer to that question and the suggestions lead me to looking at
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}

as an experiment I changed this to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\Disable{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}

(I don't like deleting keys in the registry) and that seems to have done the trick. However, there is a side effect - at least on my XP Home machine - the My Documents icon is also removed from the Desktop and cannot be returned by the usual selecting it as a desktop icon in the Display Properties sheet.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Well I finally used member "Seer's" solution in post #12 and changed a setting with TweakUI, both together put My Computer on top and put the cursor on My Computer and that opens My Computer automatically and that's what I wanted.
    I don't use "My Documents" on my system partition, because there is no data stored. I leave that folder for the bad guys and malwares. ;)

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Just something to chew on or crow over. I run across a Doug Knox utility recently that allows users to change the titles/names of these very system folders in a wink of an eye.
    My Documents
    My Computer
    My Network Places
    Recycle Bin

Now i don't know how something like this might play in your scheme of things or if it's totally uninteresting or unuseful, but i just wanted to share it in case it proved useful or even cosmetic just to stir the imagination pot just a tad.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/XP_DesktopIconRename.zip

I simply copied the target url because the site uses frames and i would have to draw a map to get to this particular tool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.