Virtual CD Writers

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by KookyMan, Sep 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

Looking for suggestions on what to use to accomplish a task.

I've been attempting tonight to create some cd disk images (ISOs) from audio files. I first attempted it using InfraRecorder, however when working with audio projects, it is unable to write to a disk image.

I then downloaded ImgBurn, and it appears to have the same shortcomings. Audio Files to disk, not a problem. Audio Files to a disk Image, no go.

I did use a trial of VirtualCD once before. It was actually very nice, and I'm surprised that there isn't an Open Source/Freeware alternative. For those who don't know, VirtualCD actually emulates a hardware CD/DVD-Rom/Writer/ReWriter. The software that you use to burn data to disk simply burns it to the VCD Drive (Which appears just like any other burner) but writes it to a disk image. It seemed to work quite well, though I did have problems when I used it personally. It was unique to my knowledge in that it didn't just emulate a CD ROM But a writer as well.

Does anyone know any FOSS (Or just Free even) software of a similar functionality to Virtual CD, or know of any FOSS/Freeware software that supports creating Audio Disk Images?

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

If you can use Linux, try K3b.
    You don't need to install, you can run from live CD.

Mrk

3. estra

estra Registered Member

Did VirtualCD was actually able to create ISO of an Audio CD?

Just that I have checked Wikipedia entry on ISO image, and it says that:

4. LittleDude

LittleDude Registered Member

I am able to create a virtual audio cd with Nero micro just using Express and mount it with Alcohol 120% virtual drive. The image would not work VirtualCloneDrive but I'm guessing Daemon Tools would be fine.

5. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

Estra -

Thanks for pointing that out. I just looked, and had not until just now realized that every audio CD image is in fact not ISO, but NRG, including the ones made by VirtualCD. Definately answers that question.

I just checked that Wikipedia entry, and noticed something interesting. Either there is a lot of bad information, or almost nothing Free/GPL handles anything other than ISO Output for Windows. (Exception so far, Alcohol 52% seems to handle creating image files non-iso.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ISO_image_software

6. estra

estra Registered Member

Perhaps you could go with creating single FLAC + CUE from your audio files instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.