Virtual box >Win8, would sound/gpu be good as real thing?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by TheCatMan, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheCatMan

TheCatMan Registered Member

I have windows 7 installed but wanted to find out if I did install say Windows 8 virtually with Virtualbox would it be as good quality regarding Sound/GPU as if it was under windows 7 ?

Ie lets say I run an mp3 file under windows 7, quality is as normal and high.
    If I then run it under windows 8 is there a loss of quality ?

2. Jryder54

Jryder54 Registered Member

What sound card/Gpu do you use?

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Performance-wise no, especially not the virtualized GPU with a 256 MB VRAM limit. The MP3 file shouldn't have any issues (maybe unless you're an audiophile), but don't expect the same with HD videos and gaming.

4. TheCatMan

solution as suggested earlier was to install virtual box guest additions + and windows additions.

guide here:

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html

Once you done this virtual boxes appear much smoother with mouse control and sound quality is great and more important the GPU changes to virtual gpu driver.

While I can't get the same hdd performance and speeds or resoultion of my full Nvidia graphics card, the quality is actually the same as my normal running windows. HD movie trailers look spot on and pixel perfect.

So very happy virtual box can run windows or linux @ almost identical quality as if it was installed !

5. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

If you don't mind me asking, what is the main purpose of running the Windows 8 virtual environment?

6. Jryder54

Jryder54 Registered Member

Glad it worked for you :D

7. TheCatMan

Testing it without installing it fully to hard drive. I do the same with linux editions they are fun to play around with. Many people run them for security and privacy reasons also ie, virus testing this way a bug is less likely to jump out and infect your real os.

8. TheCatMan

cheers

Really am glad virtual box allows one to run the os as if it were fully installed.
    I cant find fault with the picture or sound quality despite the drivers not being fully installed or used, since its in an virtual environment its more then good enough !

9. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

I see. Excellent idea :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.