Virgin Multimedia and Returnil

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Long View, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long View

Long View Registered Member

My son has just set up an account with Virgin Multimedia. Virgin provide protection in the form of something called pcguard. An acer laptop connects to the virgin modem via a netgear firewall router.

Install the free version of Returnil and started to have connection problems plus
    everything felt slower. I didn't have time to fully investigate so restored the system image and everything is fine.

with the netgear hardware firewall + the pc guard firewall + the pcguard anti-virus I guess we could leave it like that.

Does anyone else use Virgin and Returnil or perhaps shadow Defender ? deep freeze ? My guess is that having protection on all the time is possibly the problem ? each time the machine boots Virgin needs to check everything and update. Perhaps running protection only when needed might be a better idea ? allowing Virgin to do there thing ?

any thoughts ?

2. Long View

what - no Virgins at Wilders ? Or Virgins don't use Returnil ?

I still have a copy of FD-ISR that I don't use. Are there any Virgin Multimedia users out there who use FD-ISR ?

3. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Long View,
    Can you describe the Virgin multimedia setup on your son's system and some numbers on the connection with and without RVS protection on? Also, are you using Disk or Memory caching?

Thanks
    Mike

4. Long View

Hi Coldmoon

I have only tried Disk so far. The main problem is that several times when I rebooted with protection on the network could not be found. Using The Virgin
    pcguard protection it looks as though the anti-virus and software firewall part of the pcguard are trying to do something. As to speed I can't give you any numbers - but with Returnil protection on everything is running slower. when I next go to see my son I will try Returnil without the Virgin pcguard and feel sure that everything will be normal - it was before.

5. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Ok thanks. I gave the team a heads up and they are testing it in the lab...

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.