Virgin Media

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Davidpr, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davidpr

Davidpr Registered Member

My ISP, Virgin.net has now become Virgin Media. As of today they are offering a free suite of tools including AV, FW etc called PCGuard. It look as if it is provided by Radialpoint.

Have any of you used this software, possibly with NTL?, and if so what are your thoughts please.

Regards.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Attached Files:

3. Davidpr

Davidpr Registered Member

Thank you. Useful information.

4. PhoenixWeb

PhoenixWeb Registered Member

How do you know the antivirus is by authentium and the antispyware is webroot. The attached image you've shown appears to be listing sources for some quoted information provided on http://www.radialpoint.com/en/vas/virus-protection.php rather than saying the services are provided by these companies.

Or, as often happens, have I missed something?

5. waters

waters Registered Member

I use it sometimes,try it yourself because you will hear it is rubbish,and it is not.Its antivirus is authentium but not sure on spyware because it has changed from previous time.I posted hear asking about firewall because i really like iand dont know who it is.If you try it make sure you have no other firewall or this will really mess you up.It is also the lightest package i have used

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Do you have a link to that offer?

7. PhoenixWeb

PhoenixWeb Registered Member

Here is a link : http://www.virgin.net/customers/pcguard/?category=portal&app=customersecurity

I wish I hadn't bothered downloading PCguard.

Firstly when you click to download, you're not downloading Pcguard, you are downloading something called 'Broadband Helper', but it doesn't tell you this until you download it.

You then have to install Broadband Helper, and then this downloads the PCguard software. When you restart your PC both PCguard and Broadband Helper starts up. Unless you checked Windows Task Manager Processes you'd never even know Broadband Help starts automatically and runs in the background.

I think this is all a bit dodgy, as who knows what the extra software does once PCguard is installed? Why does it need to run in the background? I think it is terrible it is downloaded without your consent.

Anyway, to top it all off, I couldn't get PCguard to work. I tried five or six times over yesterday afternoon, and I kept getting an error message - PCguard cannot verify your Virgin Media broadband connection. I was connected and online with no problems at all...

What a waste of time. Suffice to say this software has now been uninstalled, and I wouldn't recommend it one bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.