vipre..wow

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hawkeen, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterHSunbelt

PeterHSunbelt Registered Member

Is it trying to apply a definition update, or is it downloading a new version of the software? We did release 2 software updates last week. If it is the software update its having trouble with you can download the latest version manually from here,
    http://www.sunbelt-software.com/support/VC/SBVIPRE_EN.3.1.2710.exe

If its the Definitions, then let me know and we can continue to troubleshoot that.

Thanks,
    Peter.

2. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Peter, Thanks for the response. Most of the time it is when a definition update is trying to work the last one that locked up yesterday was from 19MAR09 to 24MAR09(This "power on" was the first after the SW updates, which were applied on the 19th). This process made the PC unusable for the time it had to do this I say about 5-10 minutes.

3. PeterHSunbelt

Do you have any other active protection running on that machine, its possible its causing the slow down by trying to monitor all work Vipre is doing in downloading, and installing the new definitions.

Thanks,
    Peter.

4. dan_maran

Nothing else has been running that is a clean image.

5. Diprivan

Diprivan Registered Member

I have the same problem despite just updating to the latest build. My machine becomes unresponsive during definition updates. Running Vipre with Prevx Edge 3.0 and Defensewall.

6. PeterHSunbelt

In either of your cases, is it only when it has to download a large file that it causes the slow down. Or even if its only one or 2 definitions does it still slow down like you describe?

Thanks,
    Peter

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  7. dan_maran

Peter - It seems to be with each update. Say example 5001->5002 or so etc.
    I had not started windows for 5 days and let it update. The "pause" would happen when it was applying each definition update, I think it happened 5 times if not at least 4.

8. Diprivan

Diprivan Registered Member

Again, a similar experience here. The freeze / system unresponsiveness occurs only during definition updates. These updates often take several minutes. I boot to my Vipre configuration on a FDISR snapshot about once a week.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

this happerns on my virtual machine running windows 7 as well.
    hasnt been used for around 5 days or so and it kept hogging my resourses. even crawled my host OS.
    i do relise windows 7 is still beta but it it does seem to affect all microsoft os's

10. hawkeen

hawkeen Registered Member

I have vipre installed on my home computers and I do not see this on any of them.

11. PeterHSunbelt

I advise anyone currently encountering the problem with it slowing down the machine while updating to contact Support directly at support@sunbeltsoftware.com or call us at 877-673-1153 9am-6pm EST so we can open tickets and start working on this.

If we find a solution or any other information I will be sure to post it here.

Thanks,
    Peter.

12. dan_maran

I was doing both, here and email. So far I got the typical uninstal reinstall suggestion, we will see.....

13. Diazruanova

Diazruanova Registered Member

Question to Peter,

Hi Peter :) ,

I would like to know when is Vipre going to participate on any of the major AV tests?
    I bet there are many of us here that would like to see how it compares to the big boys.

Thanks

14. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

I just uninstalled vipre from my system - I never could resolve the issue of the text becoming garbled/jumbled together on the program's scan window during a scan, once the scan was done I couldn't even click the clean button, only the cancel button, which renders a scan pretty useless. I think it's a good program though, I'll try it out again at some later date after it matures a bit more :thumb:

15. PeterHSunbelt

I have no information about that, so I have no idea.

Thanks,
    Peter

16. Diazruanova

Diazruanova Registered Member

OK, Thanks

17. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I just tested the trial versions of VIPRE and the Sunbelt firewall, to see what they were like. After all, I'm going to discontinue my current AV and the Spy Sweeper.

My system: Windows XP Home Edition, 512 MB RAM, 5 years old system, not dual core, but one core CPU. No other security software present during the test.

tests:

1) VIPRE plus Sunbelt firewall, the latter not in learning mode (btw, I couldn't find a way to set the firewall to learning mode after the default installation!).
    VIPRE's active protection at various settings.

2) Just VIPRE plus Windows XP firewall.

First I'll discuss 2)
    Even with Active protection at the highest level, including one thing about suspicious behaviour/files (??) to set real-time protection to the highest level, VIPRE was reasonable fast when visiting websites. A short delay when visiting websites with a lot of content and many links, but when you´re past that, very fast. Speed a bit different, but reasonably close to my current setup.
    Serious downside: why does Sunbelt Software distribute software and updates at such a slow speed ? At a bit over 100 KB/sec, while my connection can handle a couple of MB per sec, and my wireless connection is even faster. :mad: I live in Europe, not in a tropical swamp.

1) It´s rediculous ! I remember that the old Kerio firewall slowed things down a lot. The combination of the Sunbelt firewall plus VIPRE (even with somewhat lower security settings) is just SLOW. I presume it's mostly because of the firewall, I'm not sure to what extent VIPRE contributes to the sluggishness.

While I might consider moving to VIPRE, the Sunbelt firewall slows things down too much.

And comparing speed when accessing websites, VIPRE plus Sunbelt firewall is just slower than my current setup, except for brief moments at reboot and the updating process.

I understand they have plans for a suite. Count me out !

I've restored an image to get back to my old setup.

One note: I didn't see a part of VIPRE that deals with malicious scripts. It may be part of VIPRE, but I couldn't locate it in the GUI.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  18. PeterHSunbelt

Fly,

For your question on how to switch to advanced mode. There is no button to push to switch it, Advanced mode is basically having the Any other application row in the network security module set to ASK, so that it will prompt you for any program trying to access in our out of your computer not already on that list.

For your Vipre definition download speed. Because we had so many people updating we have to limit our bandwidth, but once you are up to date the smaller updates it has to get should go very fast.

For your problems related to the speed with the Firewall enabled, we are working on improving the speed when browsing, but because the ad blocking is checking all the images and parts of websites you access it will slow down browsing. You can try and disable the web filtering in the Web tab and see if that improves the speed.

I hope these explanations can assist you.
    Thanks
    Peter

19. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

soo any news on when Vipre will be included in any sort of official tests? i am REALLY interested in Vipre but i like to have some background info on its ability before i try it out, i hope it gets into tests soon

20. PeterHSunbelt

Im sorry they still have not sent out anything to us about that.

21. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

alright, well hopefully sometimes soon people can see the results of ur hard work, i see Vipre as promising :thumb:

22. dan_maran

I tried the removal tool and the re-install, sad to say that I have the same issue. Plus another that I didn't really notice before, something (a driver) associated with Vipre is/was causing "Interrupts" wich in turn was using 36-40% of both cpus all the time(No wonder the battery only lasted 2.5hrs on 7cells). Looked promising but I just need a AV that 'just works' for work.

23. 337

337 Registered Member

For what its worth, I have been running VIPRE on my netbook (use it daily) and aside from some updating notifications, all is well!!:thumb:

24. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I'm having a little trouble with the QUOTE system on this forum, so I'll split the text by '.

'Fly,

For your question on how to switch to advanced mode. There is no button to push to switch it, Advanced mode is basically having the Any other application row in the network security module set to ASK, so that it will prompt you for any program trying to access in our out of your computer not already on that list.'

Actually I wondered how to switch to learning mode. Is that the same as advanced mode ? While 'learning mode' is mentioned in the installation wizard, it's not in the manual.

'For your Vipre definition download speed. Because we had so many people updating we have to limit our bandwidth, but once you are up to date the smaller updates it has to get should go very fast.'

I've used Counterspy for a long time, and the speed of data/code transmission was always as slow as I described. It's not new.
    I've used a number of antimalware applications over the past few years, the downloads were always fast, except from Sunbelt, which typically uses a speed at about 115 KB/sec. Maybe the speed has been a bit faster in the past on occasion, but not much. Isn't it worth investing in some servers with a high speed connection ? In the past I encountered on numerous occasions updates timing out !

25. toasale

toasale Registered Member

Vipre is a HOSS . Now, if Sunbelt had a personal firewall that performed akin to its AV/AS program! :) ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.