VIPRE lifetime subscription offer for $99.99

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by vijayind, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

2. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I don't know what's going on with HSN.

But in general I don't trust lifetime licences.

How long is the lifetime ? :rolleyes:

3. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

As long as the product exists. Now the bug question you have to answer yourself is:

1) Do i like Vipre? If the answer is yes, then answer the following:

2) Do i believe that Vipre will continue to exist after 3 years (because current price for yearly subscription is 30$. So 3 years is roughly the time you cover with 100$). If the answer is yes, you should buy it.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

To me it means that they are going out of business soon. Life time licencing business model means no business very soon.

5. Fuzzfas

Well, that's not always the case. Outpost seems on business still.

Twister is more on business today than when i bought the license 2 (?) years ago. Personally i consider today that i won my bet.

Sandboxie and Shadow Defender are still in business. WinPatrol too.

One must evaluate the condition of the company and the product, which is something subjective.

In Vipre's case, it needs serious consideration before deciding, because 100$ isn't peanuts.

6. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Not Necessarily true, other companies have lifetime licenses as well for example: MBAM, Super AntiSpyware, Agnitum with Outpost Firewall, and Twister Antivirus. With respect to Agnitum they are preparing to release their 2010 product lines.

So the fact that a company like VIPRE is offering a lifetime licenses does not necessarily mean that they are going out of business. What is surprising to me is that VIPRE is using HSN to advertise its own lifetime license.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ofcourse it,s not a general rule. But it needs a serious consideration.

8. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Or, they could be trying to raise cash for growth. Still, I would pass on this deal. I have done some lifetime deals when the price is between $10-$30, but not for $100.

9. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

Something that may be of interest is that it's $99.99 for a Lifetime Unlimited Site License, meaning you can install it on as many PCs as you own at the same residence.

Right there on the box and verified with Customer Service on Sunbelt's site.

Feel free to do the same, but remember you have to order through HSN to get the deal as the Sunbelt site only offers 1-3 year licensing.

10. Fuzzfas

Ah, then this should become a more interesting offer for someone with many computers at home, since the 1 year home unlimited normal Vipre price is 50$.

So, if you need to cover many PCs and you think Vipre will still be there after 2 years, you 've won your bet.

11. Fly

Fly Registered Member

One thing that is often ignored in the case of lifetime or multi-year licences is whether the product will be performing as well as you expect.

One example: I was happy with Counterspy 2.X, but when Sunbelt Software released version 3.X I had to ditch it.

12. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

Kind of wish this offer was around when I purchased my 2 user license just a few weeks ago. Darn...

13. kwg

kwg Registered Member

There are other possible reasons:
    1. Cash flow may have dried up during the global recession. So they need to generate some cash quickly in order to continue or enhance operations.
    2. They want to expand their user base in order to generate publicity for themselves. For much the same reason, Avast and AVG offer free lifetime subscriptions to home users.

14. falkor

falkor Registered Member

I like Vipre but, do not trust the lifetime as Vipre is not a big contender. I , for one, think MSE will be a fail as are all of the things M$ touches but, the lifetime may be due to the hype of MSE . Afraid MSE will take over and knock off some of the paid AVs. Not saying this will happen but, certainly a possibility of what Sunbelt might be thinking as they are lower on the totem pole in the paid market .

15. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I also have a low opinion of lifetime licences.

16. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

Well, just another possible spin on it...

As they are also aiming at corporate environments, its possible they are offering the product at the consumer level with a lifetime license to build up their "herd" of PCs returning data. If they are looking to the corporate market for their cash flow, anything they get on the consumer side is just bonus.

17. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Blog by Alex:
    http://sunbeltblog.blogspot.com/2009/09/thoughts-on-mse.html

18. falkor

falkor Registered Member

I agree with the blog. I do not think MSE is endangering anyone but, some of the lower players on the field, Vipre for example, may be intimated. That was just an opinion . I think all the posts in this thread have merit at this point. Only time will tell though .

19. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

After reading this, it doesn't sound like they are offering the lifetime license because they are hurting financially. Only 10% of their sales are on the consumer side. Sounds to me like their just trying to grow their consumer side with this offer.

20. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning ! Mr. Eckelberry states it very clearly, in his blog response. I've admittedly experimented with different Anti-Virus apps in the past four months,and as stated in previous posts Sunbelt's Pre and Post Sales Support are the primary reason for staying loyal to Sunbelt and Vipre. And the product is also superb. But the primary reason is I can pick up the phone and call the 800 number and receive superb assistance from Sunbelt. I don't have to rely on e-mail communication with a rep in a foreign country whose expertise is at times questionable and who takes five to ten days to reply to my problem. Sunbelt's main money maker is the Enterprise market and totally understandable as to the evolution of the company and products. Another factor is you can barter with Sunbelt in arriving at a price point for their Consumer products, try this with other vendors,and you'll come away with a bad taste in your mouth. It just happens that my subscription is due middle of next yr. and at that point all I have to do is call the friendly knowledgeable people at Sunbelt. And as a parting point I'm not a fan of lifetime subscriptions. Sincerely...Securon

21. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I do share the concern with other posters about the lifetime license though. After someone sees several organizations offering this and then going belly up shortly there after is enough to draw justifiable scepticism as to the true motive behind the offer.

22. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I would not trust this, a Little Bird told me they could be discontinuing the product in a years time! :)

Don't ask my source because i will never tell :)

23. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well, not discounting what you say but I would rather not think so as it would do Sunbelt in. They just dont seem to be like that. It could be buy the lifetime subscription and when Vipre is replaced or upgraded then your license would transfer. To me, that would be just how things like this should work and would be am I see Sunbelt working.

24. Fly

Fly Registered Member

How sure are you ? Feel free to send a PM. :D

It's unfortunate that VIPRE hasn't participated in av-comparatives. :thumbd:

25. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I think that is what has kept a lot of people away from it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.