ViGuard

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Chris12923, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

I have recently been using ViGuard http://www.viguard.com . So far it seems very nice and can protect from a multitude of attacks using very little system resources. It will is recommended not using an antivirus since it proactively blocks most attacks.

Anyone else have experience with it. So far I would highly recommend it unless someone has some factual reasons not to.

Thanks,

Chris

2. c0ltran3

c0ltran3 Registered Member

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

At $50 for the Home version and $80 for ViGuard Pro this would not be at the top of my recommendation list!

4. Chris12923

If I totaled up the price of the products I am not running now it would be as much if not more than the pro version. I mean sure you can get a bunch of freeware apps but in all reality I don't think of to many freeware apps doing as good as their paid competitors. But even if the price is to high for some the security is still good from what I have experienced so far.

Thanks,

Chris

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Chris

I see that you have dropped your AV from one of your machines and replaced it with ViGuard. Are you that confident with VG and do you feel safe running without NOD?

How long have you been running your computer this way and which security products did you drop?

If it could replace a standard AV program and other security programs then maybe the cost is less of an issue :doubt:

6. nicM

nicM nico-nico

a link for english readers, because maybe it's not easy to find in the french page: http://www.viguard.com/en/prods_en.php

Blackcat, I didn't try it myself yet, but it's actually an AV, simply designed to replace any conventional AV :) . Or should I say that it's even MORE than a conventional AV: here, you get both AV and HiPS, covering lots of areas, as far as I did preview ( Thanks to Kareldjag again for his illustrated tests ).

80$ is not cheap, but that's the same price than kav ( I think ). I just think people who run it may use a back-up conventional Av, with signatures, to check their system from time to time. And the only difference with a signature-based Av is the role of the user, involved since the set-up to the current use of the product; unlike normal AVs, where people just have to sit and watch it doing all the job :D

7. Chris12923

I am fairly confident at this point. A little nervous because I am so used to thinking having a def based AV is the safest, but I do feel pretty secure. I have been running like this for about 2 weeks. I dropped NOD32 and processguard. I do still use Spyware Doctor since anti-spyware really isn't what ViGuard is about.

Thanks,

Chris

8. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Here's some interesting info from Guillermito about the french generic anti-virus Viguard,

. . .

They need some independant point of view, and my curiosity about security software is picked up. In march 2002, I published on my website a long analysis about this software. This webpage showed how the program worked, demonstrated a few security flaws, and some tests with real viruses. I showed that, unlike the advertizing claimed, this software didn't detect and stopped "100% of viruses".

5 May 2005: welcome to the readers of the eEye newsletter. A quick update just for them, because they at least know what we are talking about here, I mean technically, here is the asm source code of the demonstration that police and judges kept asking me about. The bytes from the software are in bold, they are the two XOR keys (I changed them to 0 of course). You can count them. They represent more or less 10 millionths of the software itself, and they are not even executed. That's why I was condamned, as the conclusion of the judges said : "... so Guillaume T. actually reproduced, modified, and re-assembled all or a part of V. software, and then freely distributed software based on the sources of the V. softare. So he will be declared guilty and condamned...".

http://www.guillermito2.net/archives/2004_03_25e.html

Viguard releases conventional scanner

The basis of Tegam marketing is about the danger of classical anti-virus scanners which use a database of signatures. But discreetly on their website, they distribute a scanner using signatures [Update April 20: the link disappeared, but this scanner is now available here, and, oh surprise, it is now distributed under the GPL,

vdetect : Virus scanner for Windows

vdetect is a simple virus scanner for Windows, allowing to select and verify folders or disks, by comparing the signatures of viruses which are stored in the virus pattern file to the code inside the file being scanned. It use ClamAV pattern matching algorithm and virus DB.

Please note that vdetect does not repair infected files, and should be use as an diagnostic tool.

http://www.dodata.fr/vdetect/index-en.htm

. . .

Make your own mind up, but as a precaution i don't think i'd risk evaluating it without conventional protection. You say that you havn't had any nasties etc yet, but if you practice safe hex that's to be expected. But there is always the chance at some point of the unintentional intrusion.

Maybe you might be prepared to take the test on here and see what happens https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=98653

StevieO

9. Chris12923

I just went to the site you are talking about and here is what happened.

Running with my Drive Vaccine enabled

Spyware Doctor popped up and alert that I was attempting to access a site that may contain harmful content and asked me if I would like to continue anyway. I clicked yes.

A Microsoft Internet Explorer popup alert with an exclamation point was shown with only one button [OK]. I clicked OK

The IE page now becomes blank with a yellow exclamation at the bottom left corner. I double click on it and it says 'window.opener is null or not an object'

Maybe the site is not running the way it should? Maybe another error? Any ideas?

Remember I said I do use Spyware Doctor because Viguard is more for Virus' than spyware. But I still wanted to go to this spyware site to test.

Thanks,

Chris

10. nicM

nicM nico-nico

its only purpose is to check the computer BEFORE to install Viguard...

btw, I've seen a 1 year Spysweeper licence comes with both home and pro Viguard :)

11. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Hi Chris,

Yes my IE page also shows up blank, BUT, see the other thread about this because it's very devious !

Yes i did note that you have Spyware Doctor, and i'm very happy that you didn't get infected.

If you previously had AV before you installed Viguard, then i presume it's still on your PC, but you have disabled from starting up ? I might just start it again and then update it, and do a Full system scan to be on the safe side.

I would still be interested to hear about your experiences with Viguard though, as often as you get the chance to post them.

StevieO

12. Chris12923

I received no alerts from viguard or spyware doctor on that site when visiting. Do you get antivirus alerts when you visit it now? If you do I will go get an online scan and give a report. I have no antivirus on the PC I restored from a clean Image of windows with all current updates.

Thanks,

Chris

13. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Maybe you should get a online scan, on my PC's avast!, KAV, BitDefender had a warning field day at that site.

14. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I am interested in Viguard but not if I have to get rid of NOD32. I just feel that NOD or KAV needs to be there.

15. Chris12923

Just had an online scan at Trend Micro. I have attached screen. Again I went to the site right before I ran scan and got no alerts from Spyware Doctor.

Thanks,

Chris

Attached Files:

16. Chris12923

Are you saying if you goto that site currently your software gives you alerts? Or previously? I just want to make sure the site is still active as far as trying to infect since I had no alerts everything on my end must be working very good proactively or that site is not doing what it used to?

Thanks,

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.