Viewing sites with images/flash/gifs, etc

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by kuba, Feb 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kuba

kuba Registered Member

I just got 2gigs of RAM recently for my ASUS A7N8X-X (hate asus' customer support btw, horrible) but anyways...When viewing multiple tabs in FF1.0.7, my RAM drops considerably.
    A lot of the sites I view are graphic heavy, whether it's gifs, jpegs, flash, etc...
    But then at 1000mb of free RAM, everything starts to load more slowly.
    I would expect that at 500mb, not 1000.
    I add the new integer value for memory leakage into FF at integer value 60000.
    Maybe it's NOD32 that downloads every image first before i view it?
    I notice a little popup with NOD saying "downloading" then there's a whole whack of image/gifs/jpegs, etc being downloaded (or scanned?)
    I love NOD for it, since it's protecting my comp, but is there a way around this, to turn that option off, or am i risking any attacks via image/gifs, etc...

Any ideas what's going on here guys?

2. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

with the recent exploits of image formats - I don't recommend it. You might tune the passive mode UP, so that NOD32 doesn't revert to passive mode for smaller images (say 400kb or more - I have mine at 2mb)

How many tabs do you have open at a time - I generally operate 5-15 firefox 1.07 windows with between 1 and 20 tabs - I haven't seen the kinds of slowdown you experience, and I only have 1gb of RAM on my machine.

Let us know how it goes...

3. kuba

kuba Registered Member

How would I do that?
    Normally I try not to have more than 3-6 tabs, but today, i had about 10-12 on the go.
    Thanks
    (noticed I'm not the only one that didn't do the switch over to 1.5 yet, guess you're waiting like me for the kinks to work out:))

4. Elwood

Elwood Registered Member

I've been running 1.5 since the day it was released and updated to 1.5.0.1 the day it was released without problems. There may still be a few extensions that have yet to be updated, but all of mine have updated versions (2:cool:.

It sounds as if you may have an extension conflict occurring or you may need to update graphics drivers, this often helps with Firefox "memory leaks" (the problems I have read of do not exhibit classic symptoms of a memory leak).

Firefox renames cached files so you should not be in danger of any cached files executing even if you put Firefox in the higher compatiblity section.

There is a critical vulnerability in 1.0.7. I would recommend a clean install rather than reusing the Firefox profile used in the 1.0.x series.

How to perform a clean installation

Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  5. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

Control Center | IMON | Setup | HTTP | at the bottom - "switch to" - you should experiment with it.

Also - I make sure my client settings are "high compatibility" - it can make for slower AV scanning, but I haven't had a bad experience to date - and my home machine is only a 1.8Ghz machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.