"View workgroup computers" Error

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by stueycaster, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Just out of curiosity, is UPnP in the trusted zone allowed? If so, is the trusted zone configured correctly? Could you try creating a rule that will allow all connections to the remote port 1900 to see if that helps?

2. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

UPnP and IGMP are both allowed and I have left default settings in the Trusted Zone.

I made a new rule, called it Remote Port 1900, allowed TCP and UDP in both directions and added 1900 to Remote Port. I don't know if there is anything else I need to do.

After enabling and starting the Computer Browser Service then rebooting the other computer the workgroup link failed again.

3. patch

patch Registered Member

Correct
    Uninstalling makes it work without restarting computers or router.
    Clean instal (latest download from ESET & clearing registry entries, default settings & "Allow sharing") stops it working, again without restarting computer or router.

As specific as I can be, I believe the fault causes:
    A computer to not act as a master browser for itself when elected to do so
    See https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1150277&postcount=149
    Interestingly it does function as a master browser for other windows XP or windows 2000 machines

It can be demonstrated with a one computer network behind a router (view workgroup error) or using the “browstat status” command on more complex networks.
    It results in intermittent function on more complex networks, depending on which computer is elected as master browser at any point in time.

For me it occurs with ESS on windows XP professional.
    It doesn’t occur with windows 2000 or when ESS is uninstalled.

Bad idea if you want to find & fix the bug. OK as a workaround if you have some computers not demonstrating the bug and want to force them to be the master browser.

Sorry, bit hard for me to do but same fault occurs on different computers (desktop & laptop – LG P1 pro express dual)
    No help
    100mps only
    32 bit Windows XP professional. Not aware of problem with EAV, but haven't used it for a month & relying on my memory
    Yes.Left at default
    Subnet 192.168.1.0 / 255.255.255.0
    Computers with fault 192.168.1.20 and 192.168.1.1
    Same automatic or interactive
    Disabling has no effect, which is interesting as un-installing instantly fixes the problem & installing creates it. Hopefully this helps to localise the fault.
    Yes enabled, Blocked connection shown with default settings on automatic are shown below. The list is much longer if uPnP and streamin via IGMP are allowed.
    15/01/2008 9:31:24 PM Communication denied by rule 192.168.1.254:50005 239.255.255.250:1900 UDP Block incoming SSDP (UPNP) requests C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE
    15/01/2008 9:35:01 PM Communication denied by rule 192.168.1.20:59761 192.168.1.254:1900 UDP Block outgoing SSDP (UPNP) requests C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    15/01/2008 9:35:02 PM Communication denied by rule 192.168.1.20:59761 192.168.1.20:1900 UDP Block outgoing SSDP (UPNP) requests C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    15/01/2008 9:35:32 PM No usable rule found 192.168.1.20 224.0.0.22 IGMP

Note with suitable rules in the interactive mode I can ensure no blocked connections are shown, however it still doesn't work.
    No other fire wall ever used (other than built windows, no change if disable that)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  4. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

When ESS is installed, an Eset service is also installed under the properties of the local LAN. This service has a checkbox which can be unticked and if it is unticked, the LAN connection briefly stops and restarts. When the Eset service is ticked again, a Microsoft dialogue appears stating the software to be installed is not verified. When this box is OK'd, the LAN is again stopped and restarted.
    Does anyone know what this Eset service is or does?
    I haven't had a chance to test the network problem yet but I will try, in the next day or so, unchecking this service on all PCs in the network to see what happens.

5. patch

patch Registered Member

I suspect it is the method used by ESS to do low level network connection monitoring.
    Easiest way to test is simplify your network.
    Switch off all but one computer.
    Try "View workgroup computers" on the one remaining computer, if it shows itself all is good, if not that computer doesn't have a correctly functioning master browser.

6. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

I can't agree with this as sometimes at least one computer can see itself when "View workgroup computers" is selected in the network with other PCs online as well. The test needs to be done with at least two PCs in the network.

7. Jacqui D

Jacqui D Registered Member

Jenee, please see my earlier post in this thread:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1126656&postcount=102

and Stuey's reply:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1126721&postcount=103

When electing to install the ESET unsigned software this error appears in the event log:

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Server
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 2504
    Date: 1/10/2008
    Time: 8:10:46 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: PWS690
    Description:
    The server could not bind to the transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{1E69027E-CB1B-4793-8D77-B49793CF5987}.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I am still using this workaround to access my workgroup computers, however, nobody has confirmed whether this does anything to the functionality of the firewall. That said, outbound connections are still being stopped by the firewall as tested. I am also behind a NAT router with SPI firewall.

Jacqui

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  8. patch

patch Registered Member

mmm

Yes with multiple computers it is more complicated, as either computer maybe the master browser. Typically the computer accessing a remote master browser works better.

It is because of this and the fact I was trying to test for the fault rather than demonstrate intermittent function, that I suggested testing one computer at a time. I think you will find if you tested all of your computers one at time (others powered down) and the "View workgroup computers" worked for all. Then it would also work reliably with any combination of computers on (for the current ESET "View workgroup computers" bug).

It is also correct that if you have gone to the trouble of installing browstat, and are comfortable with the cmd window, then you can readily determine what is happening in more complex networks using that tool. I have the impression many people are not that keen on doing this though.

That is disturbing. Is there any more information we could provide to help you reproduce it?
    Please let us know as soon as you can demonstrate the bug.
    No all resolves when ESS is uninstalled & reoccurs when installed again

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  9. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

just out of interest i was one of the people reporting this problem from beta1 up to the final version, since re-installing xp, i havnt been able to reproduce the error... 2months+ now and all perfect

thats the same network, same hardware, same drivers & ESS. surely i should be able to reproduce it??..but nope :rolleyes: so i can see where marcos is coming from when saying they cannot reproduce it.:cautious:

10. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

I could not view the links but I am assuming that no one yet knows what this Eset service is.
    When I allowed it to install, I did not get any event log errors.

11. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

Did you reinstall xp (i.e. repair type reinstall) on the existing disk or start with a clean disk and installed from scratch.

12. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

existing disk, fresh instal (format hd) xp pro sp2 oem

13. stueycaster

Which did you do first, install ess or establish the network?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  14. patch

patch Registered Member

When I use the ESS --> Setup --> Personal firewall --> "Disable filtering:allow all traffic"
    To disable the firewall, it makes no difference ie. the "View workgroup computers" Error persists.

Do you get the same Jenee, or are you saying for you the bug goes when the firewall is disabled like this?

When I uncheck that box, the "View workgroup computers" Error goes (ie. with one computer on the network, it can see itself.

If I enable it again the "View workgroup computers" Error returns
    Jacqui D does the problem also return for you when you recheck the Eset Firewall Port in my "Local Area Connections Properties"?

Looking at the event log, this forces a master browser election each time, so it may have elected a different computer if you had more than one on at the time.

I get the warning about installing an unsigned driver also.
    I believe this just means ESET have not paid Microsoft's exorbitant fee to register their driver.
    If you choose not to install the ESET driver, then I suspect that is why the error isn't returning (you are not restoring the software to it's previous state)

I get an Information event
    The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{6B9AFBD2-4C18-4524-8AAF-5A0FC9157641} because a master browser was stopped.

Not sure why there is a difference. Do you get the same with just one computer on.

Given I get the same problem on multiple computers, I too am sceptical that reinstalling windows is the solution.

If that is ESET's solution, they are suggesting a lot of inconvenience to their customers.
    Perhaps we need a poll to see how widespread the problem is among XP Pro & other computers

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  15. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

instal xp
    instal drivers
    (network would of been established upon instal of lan driver)
    instal ess
    instal windows updates
    reboot

16. djmorgan

djmorgan Registered Member

I have a simular problem, I think! my laptop connects to my works network I can get Internet and email but cannot see the corporate network, I have tried all the suggestions here with no result, no I have not reinstalled the OS and won't do that.

17. stueycaster

You didn't have to run the Network Setup Wizard?

18. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

never used wizards, prefer to setup manually..
    what is so hard about setting a workgroup name and leaving the IP to obtain automatically?:rolleyes:

19. stueycaster

I didn't know there was any other way. What I was wondering is if the network was already running before you installed ESS?

20. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

yes as i would of accessed the ess installer from my windows 2003 server

21. stueycaster

Ok. Thank you.

22. Jacqui D

When I recheck the Eset Firewall Port and click "apply" I get asked to install some unsigned software. Installing it leads to the error occurring and the inability to view my workgroup and also creates the error in the event log posted earlier. Opting to STOP installation leads to the ability to view the workgroup without any errors and the apparent correct operation of the firewall. i.e. the firewall stops outbound traffic according to the rules or prompts for allowance/denial. It is the best workaround solution that works for me.

One of my workgroup computers is on 24/7, so there are always at least two computers in my workgroup. I will test later when the system is down. I also get this warning in the event log when I opt to install the ESET firewall port:

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: MRxSmb
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 3019
    Date: 1/10/2008
    Time: 8:12:49 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: PWS690
    Description:
    The redirector failed to determine the connection type.

I don't think reinstalling Windows is the solution. I installed ESS on a fresh install of XP 64/SP2 and have had this issue from the get go.

Jacqui

23. Jacqui D

I only have XP-32's and one XP-64 in my workgroup. Maybe the presence of a "real" server helps with this issue since there are no browser election issues etc?

Anyone? Maybe Patch's suggestion for a poll would be a good idea.

Jacqui

24. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

the server03 box has been running long before ess was even on the drawing board, was running through beta1 etc..
    it seems at least for me that it was possibly some software i had maybe installed in the past that had been uninstalled still causing some conflict.

25. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

Patch, you quoted me as saying that disabling the firewall fixed the problem with "View Workgroup Computers". It doesn't. If I did say that then it should have been uninstalling the firewall fixed the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.