"View workgroup computers" Error

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by stueycaster, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

How many computers in your network and did you run the wizard on all of them?

2. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

I'll list them below and if users with this problem would assist by answering some or all of his questions it might help with this matter.

* "If possible, could you try installing a different network card to see if it's releated somehow to its drivers? Maybe a partial interference occurs when ESS drivers are installed, but that's just a hunch."

I have 3 PCs in my network all with different network cards.

* "I've been in touch with stueycaster, but I wonder if someone else could confirm or deny that the problem goes away after disabling all IDS rules"

No the problem does not go away

* "Do all of you use a 1GB NIC and switching it to 100mps mode helps?"

two NICs are 100mps and one is 1GB and all PCs have the problem

* "what OS are you running? (32 or 64-bit?)

All OSs are WinXP Pro

* "- Is the Trusted zone configured properly and all computers in your LAN are members of it?

Yes

- Does the problem persist no matter whether interactive or automatic mode is selected?

Yes

- Does disabling the firewall completely make a difference?

Yes

- Have you enabled logging of all blocked connections and no blocked connection appeared in the firewall log?

I am not sure if this is relevant but one PC has the following logged "Detected Reverse TCP DeSynchronisation attack" with the source IP being itself and the target IP being another PC in the network

- Do you have another firewall installed?"

No

3. sherryxp2000

sherryxp2000 Registered Member

There are 3 PC's in my network, and plus random other PC's that I take in for repair work that I do at home. So always a mix of network cards, and a mix of AV programs.

The only computer I ran the wizard on was the one that contained ESET EAV.

The other two PC's have different AV.

4. sherryxp2000

The problem reappeared just this moment work group error. So the Network ID Wizard did nothing to fix the problem on the machine with ESET suite.

5. kwg

kwg Registered Member

Here's an experiment I have tried:

1. Disconnect all other computers from the network. Keep this computer, running ESS, connected.

2. Reboot this computer.

3. Restart the Computer Browser service.

4. View Workgroup Computers.

After several seconds, I receive this message: "The list of servers for this network is not currently available."

When this computer is the only computer on the network, shouldn't this computer be able to see itself?

When I uninstall ESS, the network behaves normally, no matter how many computers are connected to the network.

6. sherryxp2000

I can vouch for that, I turned all my other PC's off, and my computer can NOT see itself either. (the one with ESS)

My other computers when on by theirselves, always see theirself. (all have non-ESS AV suites)

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

We've been trying to replicate this problem to no avail. If there was a problem viewing network computers it persisted even after uninstalling ESS. If you uninstall ESS, I gather the function in question begins working properly, right?

8. kwg

kwg Registered Member

Marcos, the problem persists as long as ESS is installed. As soon as I uninstall ESS, the network returns to normal.

9. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

Marcos,
    Did you try to restart the EAV computer with the ESS computer already running. The problem with the "View workgroup computers" link is one that comes and goes according to these circumstances. On my 2 computer network the one with ESS worked correctly if it was started with the other computer already running. Then as soon as the other computer (the one with EAV) is restarted the view workgroup link fails.

I see it this way. when the ESS computer is started with the other computer already running the other one has already assumed the position of Master Browser and the workgroup link works correctly. Then when you restart the computer with EAV the one with ESS tries to assume master and fails because something in the firewall stops it.

Now since I've disabled the ESS computer from being able to assume Master the EAV computer always takes the responsibility. My view workgroup link always works correctly.

I hope that all makes sense. It's really hard to explain.

10. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

I am not sure I agree with this. The computer in my network that is always the master browser (I don't know why and have not been able to change it) could not view workgroup computers even before ESS was installed on it but I had started another PC that did have ESS installed.
    In one of my posts above I detailed a block that is appearing on the computer that is the master browser and this may also have something to do with the problem.

"I am not sure if this is relevant but one PC has the following logged "Detected Reverse TCP DeSynchronisation attack" with the source IP being itself and the target IP being another PC in the network"

This message appears on the PC which is master browser when it is started first and then another PC is started.

11. sherryxp2000

Yes, that's the case for me.

12. Jacqui D

Jacqui D Registered Member

Same here.

In addition, the following is logged in the ESET personal firewall log which I believe has something to do with this issue:

1/10/2008 7:14:02 PM No usable rule found 192.168.0.254 224.0.0.22 IGMP
    1/10/2008 7:14:01 PM No usable rule found 192.168.0.254 224.0.0.22 IGMP

192.168.0.254 is my computer and I have no idea what the 224.0.0.22 target is.

Jacqui

13. stueycaster

Has anybody tried to disable the "Computer Browser" service in your ESS computer with EAV or Nod32 on another one to see if it helps?

14. sherryxp2000

Yes I tried that, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

15. sherryxp2000

I found a solution. I did a lot of Google searching, and found perhaps 4 to 5 pages that had the same solution. While I still think it's ESet's problem, this solution may help them find the cure.

Add this registry entry (your PC may or may not have it, mine did not)

As always, perform a registry backup first.

==================================
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters]

"DhcpNodeType"=dword:00000004

This should fix the workgroup error. The value 4 can be different, but after reading what each value does, 4 seems best. If this solution does not help, addtionally add this below, but more than likely you won't have to do this second addition. (again my registry had this missing also)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters]

"NodeType"=dword:00000001

Now what MAY happen is, if you plug into different work group networks, you MAY have to redo these registry patches. For instance, if you work on your workgroup at home........take your laptop to the office, and if it's set up under workgroup aLSO.......... this CAN cause changes.

One of the supporting links

http://microsoft-personal-operating...c.windowsxp.network_web/781146/1/Default.aspx

The Microsoft Computer Browser Service should actually be left alone.

Also for a few more rare cases, this may also help.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318030

16. kwg

kwg Registered Member

Yes, and it made no difference. As I indicated in my previous post, I also restarted the Computer Browser service, and it made no difference.

Again, let me emphasize: I experience this problem even when there is only one computer on the network. The problem has nothing to do with the configuration of other computers on the network.

17. kwg

kwg Registered Member

Unfortunately, this solution did not work for me, even after rebooting. The reason may be that all of the computers on my network have fixed IP addresses. Even with only a single computer on my network, this solution did not work.

18. sherryxp2000

Well it MAY be a momentary fix for me. I'll have to try it for a few days, and make sure the error doesn't occur again.

19. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

I have done some experimenting and reading up about the Master Browser and Backup Browser. The workgroup must have a master browser and backup browser, how they are allocated, I don't know.
    What I do know is that ESS stops a PC being a master browser. I found this out because the PC which used to be the master browser (and I thought still was) has this error in event log:

The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{EF01A7C3-E06E-43F1-B485-F9A590507174}. The backup browser is stopping.

This same error was on all other PCs with ESS installed (just different codes in the brackets.

I uninstalled ESS from one of the PCs and it immediately became a master browser. I then ran the network wizard on the other PCs and the network works fine.

I then turned off the PC without ESS installed and the network failed on the remaining PCs. I reinstalled ESS on the PC which I had previously uninstalled it from, the network failed and this PC had the same error in Event Viewer.

So with ESS installed, there are umpteen backup browsers and no master browser.

The only thing I can get close to is the allocation of IP addresses by ESS in the trusted zone which I think is causing the problem as the documentation on browsers refers to problems with IP addresses and subnets. My network uses 192.168.0.5, 192.168.0.4, 192.168.0.15 and the router is 192.168.0.1. In the ESS trusted zone setup, it has the IP as 27.0.0.1 and subnet of 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 and under local addresses all PCs have 27.0.0.1 and then their own IP address (eg 192.168.0.5)
    I am no expert but the trusted zone settings do not appear to give access to other computers in the network.
    I wish an Eset authority would comment on these trusted zone settings and the master browser problem.

20. stueycaster

Well now I'm really confused. o_O I guess I'll just leave it up to the experts.

21. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I have sent a private message to Jenee. If someone else can reproduce this problem at any time, please drop me a PM.

22. Jacqui D

Jacqui D Registered Member

I have a similar configuration to Jenee, my router is 192.168.0.1 and my computers are all 192.168.0.2xx, but ESET automatically chose a subnet of 192.168.0.0 / 255.255.255.0 for the trusted zone. Is this correct?

23. Hotep

Hotep Registered Member

I am also having this network issue. I ended up purchasing Network Magic in order to have access. If I uninstall ESET SS my network becomes visible on both computers. Once I re install my network disappears. I don't understand all the technical jargon or have the appropriate knowledge to try and figure this all out. I just know for me, without Network Magic, ESET is not an option as I heavily rely on my network use. Hopefully they will get this all sorted out.

24. sherryxp2000

Well the registry patches only worked for 2 days, now it's back to the workgroup error.

Something has to give.

It's like magic, it works, it don't, it works, it don't.

25. Palombaro

Palombaro Registered Member

Ditto - more or less

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.