"View workgroup computers" Error

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by stueycaster, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

Jacqui buddy you are really freaking me out with that. I think that's uninstalling the ESET driver. Sure, the GUI will look good but it probably won't block intrusion or viruses. But, I may be wrong.

2. Jacqui D

Jacqui D Registered Member

No problem, the firewall is detecting and blocking outbound connections as expected and I am also behind a NAT router with SPI firewall (DLINK DIR655 n) w/WPA2 personal. I never had a "proper" s/w firewall before ESS since they have only recently become available for 64-bit. NOD 2.7 is all I have ever used in conjunction with the windows firewall.

Coupled with safe computing practices, I have had no issues thus far, but it would be nice if Eset could focus on this issue and get it sorted.

Jacqui

3. patch

patch Registered Member

I think we have a Browser service problem
    Description of operation http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188001
    Trouble shooting http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188305

For better but non-Microsoft information see
    Description http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html
    Trouble shooting http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/browstat-utility-from-microsoft.html
    And http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#Browser

For me when it's not working, "browstat status" run on computer1 shows
    Status for domain HOME on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{...41}
    Browsing is NOT active on domain.
    Master browser name is held by: computer1
    Master browser is running build 2600

Similarly from computer2, "browstat status" shows
    Status for domain HOME on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{...47}
    Browsing is active on domain.
    Master browser name is: computer1
    1 backup servers retrieved from master computer1
    \\computer1
    There are 1 servers in domain HOME on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{...47}
    There are 0 domains in domain HOME on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{...47}

Which I figure is not correct. With some playing with parameters & restarting it worked (Computer2 became the Browser server). Not sure if I have fixed anything but can now see the problem.

4. stueycaster

Ok Jacqui buddy. I'll leave you alone over it now. :thumb:

5. pomocnik

pomocnik Registered Member

i have same problem

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    4. -
    5. No.

i use XP SP2

6. Jacqui D

Jacqui D Registered Member

For sure this is a fact. The Computer Browser service on our computers is fouled up by the ESS firewall. I have always had the Computer Browser service disabled on the other computers except my main system on my network because there were always master browser election issues. I have always been able to "see" those computers under "view workgroup computers" until I installed the ESS software.

The problem is identifying the cause vs. the symptoms. That problem lies with ESET.

For now, I am through dabbling with this issue since I will probably end up breaking my system altogether:(

Jacqui

7. stueycaster

I found a way that I can get around this bug. It'll work for me because I have EAV 3 on the other computer. On this computer I went into Administrative Tools/Services and set Computer Browser to disabled and stopped the service. Now the other computer can keep track of the workgroup since it doesn't have the ESS Firewall to mess it up. It seems to be working.

ESET still needs to fix this. At some point I plan to buy myself a laptop. When that happens I will definitely want this computer to keep track of the workgroup since it stays on all the time.

Update: I need to say thanks to Jacqui and Patch. I didn't know about Computer Browser til you guys pointed it out here.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  8. Palombaro

Palombaro Registered Member

I would like to know whether ESET are working on this issue and whether or not they are now giving it some priority.

9. stueycaster

Some time soon after Christmas I plan to send an instant message to Marcos with this new information. I don't want to bother anybody with it on Christmas Eve though. I'm sure they have been working hard on this and deserve the holiday.

I would imagine that the reason it didn't get fixed with version 621 is because this is really kind of separate from the network problems that others have. Does that make sense? I don't know. I'm just a computer geek wannabe. This is just a hobby for me. Anyway, like Jacqui said, it looks like the Computer Browser Service is what is being affected by the firewall. Whenever the other computer shut down this computer would elect itself Master Browser but failed because of the firewall. Then when this computer shut down the other one elected itself Master and it worked because it has EAV. I shut down the service in this computer and the issue went away.

I'd suggest this. If you're behind a router firewall and you have a computer that handles no sensitive info install EAV on it, leave the Computer Browser Service running and leave the computer on all the time. Then shut off the Computer Browser Service in all the ESS computers. Leave it like that til ESET fixes this issue. It really is working for me.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  10. stueycaster

Boy do I ever feel ignored. I just read this:

http://www.eset.com/support/news.php

I don't see where there is any mention of Home Network problems at all. Maybe they're supposed to be part of those issues that did get fixed but this didn't. I guess it's difficult to fix this one so they put it off because they needed to get version 621 out before Christmas. I hope that's all it is because I really do feel ignored.

I've started three threads about this. I've been complaining about it since 9/21. There have been 188 replies and 7,015 views on them. I've also been one of their biggest supporters in this forum.

If I didn't feel like this program will soon be the best thing on the market i'd go get myself another product. I really am pissed.

11. stueycaster

I think I know why they haven't put much effort into fixing this issue. It's too easy to work around the problem and it's not system threatening or anything like that. That doesn't make me feel any better about it though. It's just that I've put so much time and effort into it.

12. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

have you tried re-installing windows?

13. stueycaster

That will be a last ditch effort kC my friend. It's just that it really does work right with Ver. 2.7. Plus now that I've set up this computer to always allow the other computer to be the Master Browser it's working fine. I just think that ESET didn't try hard enough on this.

There may come a day when I reinstall Windows but I have to try everything else first. I appreciate your concern. Thank you.

14. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

sorry its just you said "time & effort"

15. stueycaster

No problem kC buddy. I was talking about the time and effort I've put into this thread and researching possible fixes for this problem and stuff like that. I've been dealing with this for 3 months now. Oh well.

Merry Christmas :)

16. kringles

kringles Registered Member

@stueycaster $ kC_
    Re install (restoring to a fresh install using Acronis TI) on my three PCs (1 Vista other 2 XP) did not help. The only solution in my case was to remove ESS from all three PCs. My problem may be slightly different in apprearance. After the initial install of ESS on all three PCs network is ok for several hours. Then without any apparent reason ( no reboots etc.) the Vista PC cannot 'see' the other PCs. The two XP PCs can 'see' each other and the
    Vista PC. Remove ESS all ok.

Then installed latest version of Comodo Firewall 3.0 on all three PCs with NOD 32 V 3.0. Have been running for a day with no network problems.

My conclusion is that ESS is the problem in this case. Have not given up yet but maybe I will get to like this Comodo product enough to stick with it instead of ESS.

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays
    kringles

17. stueycaster

I keep thinking that they'll have to fix this thing at some point. It's definitely a bug in their software. The number of times this thread has been viewed says that a lot of people know about it too. That's bad for public relations.

18. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

I also have the same problem and other computers in my network cannot access my computer (my computer is the only one so far with ESS as the firewall).
    The only way I have found to get around it is to go through the network setup wizard again on my pc, restart my pc and then the network works fine. I have to do this each day.

19. stueycaster

By "cannot access my computer" do you mean that the other computers can't access the shares or can't access your computer through the "View workgroup computers" link. If they can't access the shares I don't know what to tell you. Sorry. But if the workgroup link is at fault maybe this will help.

In post #128 on this page Patch pointed out some articles about the relationship of computers on a network. Maybe I can save you from having to read all that.

It seems that one of the computers has to be the "Master Browser". That computer maintains a list of the computers on a workgroup and the shares on each one. The one with the most uptime gets chosen for that responsibility. The firewall in ESS somehow stops that computer from being able to do this.

If that computer gets turned off then one of the others will take on the responsibility. This is why restarting the ESS computer fixes the problem. I was able to get around this problem by doing this:

Go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services. Find "Computer Browser" and double click it. Set "Startup Type" to Disabled. In "Service status" click Stop. Click Apply.

Now that computer can never be the master browser. It worked for me. I don't have the problem any more. Once ESET fixes the problem I'll set this computer to allow the service again.

20. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

I installed the latest version 621 and I no longer have any problems with the network now. It all works fine. This new version seems to have sorted it out very well.

21. spiritfly

spiritfly Registered Member

Idon't think so. I have just installed it on one of my machines and as soon as I installed it, the pc cannot see itself in the network, nor can other pcs see it.I had another ESS on my main pc, but that is the case with it also.

At first I never really doubted ESS, so I searched through google about it and I found a strange problem being solved by installing the NETBEUI. I tried that and somehow it worked on my main pc! I did that right away with my second one and it did not worked. Then I read some more about this NETBEUI protocol and it said that it doesn't apply at my case(a home network behind a router with hardware firewall linksys). And at the end I simply uninstalled ESS and everything started working perfectly.

22. Palombaro

Palombaro Registered Member

Though all the methods that people are using may be helpful , in the final analysis the problem clearly lies with ESS. It is far too widespread to be dismissed as a 'rogue' network card or a need to reinstall Windows on a computer which is some way compromised. It's a software bug and ultimately it is one that ESET will have to resolve.

23. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

When I was having the network issue, I used to run the network setup wizard and that would fix the problems until the pcs were restarted. I had run this just before I installed V621 so perhaps that is why I no longer have any problems. Perhaps you could try running the network setup after installing ESS again and see if that works.

24. patch

patch Registered Member

Still not working for me using:
    ESS 3.0.621.0 Modules current as of 30/12/2007.
    --Configured default (firewall automatic filtering) with uPnP & full logging enabled
    Windows XP Professional, current updates
    Local computers on a wired network behind a Billion 7402vgp NAT & local DNS
    Note also have Windows 2000 machines, and "View workgroup computers" work properly when one of them is the "Master browser"

With ESS installed on XP computer Computer1 get from computer1 :(
    >ipconfig /all
    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Computer1
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-07-E9-82-A7-94
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.20
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, 30 December 2007 11:47:05 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, 30 December 2007 11:47:05 PM

>browstat status
    Status for domain HOME on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{6B9AFBD2-4C18-4524-8AAF
    -5A0FC9157641}
    Master browser name is held by: Computer1

Un-installing ESS.
    Switching off all computers.
    Starting up Computer1 then others (to ensure computer 1 is master browser)
    "View workgroup computers" work properly :) and
    >browstat status
    Status for domain HOME on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{6B9AFBD2-4C18-4524-8AAF -5A0FC9157641}
    Browsing is active on domain.
    Master browser name is: Computer1
    1 backup servers retrieved from master Computer1
    \\Computer1
    There are 1 servers in domain HOME on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{6B9AFBD 2-4C18-4524-8AAF-5A0FC9157641}
    There are 1 domains in domain HOME on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{6B9AFBD 2-4C18-4524-8AAF-5A0FC9157641}

Re-installing ESS.
    Without restarting any computers
    "View workgroup computers" stops working :( and
    >browstat status
    Status for domain HOME on transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{6B9AFBD2-4C18-4524-8AAF -5A0FC9157641}
    Master browser name is held by: Computer1

Note
    Ipconfig /all does not change significantly with above testing.
    Running Network setup wizard makes no difference to the above results.
    Used regedit to clear all entries with "ESET", including in above example prior to reloading ESS

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  25. stueycaster

I don't think anybody is saying that ESET isn't responsible for fixing this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.