Vexira AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by viking313, Jan 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. viking313

viking313 Registered Member

Hello everyone.....I'm new to the board.I use NOD32 on my main comp.....but I use Vexira AV from Central Command on my laptop.It seems to be a fair AV....does'nt slow my system down,easy to use and the virus and malware base seem to be pretty good.Just wondering if there are any positive opinions about this AV and company?I do know this is a repackaged version of the AntiVir from H+BEDV.....
    Thanks

2. wizard

wizard Registered Member

AntiVir: No heuristics (except for macro viruses), no unpacking engine, poor detection of complex malware (polymorphic, metamorphic), never received a VirusBulettin ITW award.

wizard

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

A recent post on the AVPE support forum says there will be a major new version of AVPE on or about June '04. Reportedly, the new version will include a powerful heuristics-type scanner, plus lots of unpacking capability. Undoubtedly the Vex AV will benefit from a similar upgrade.

I trialed Vex AV a few months ago. It's basically AVPE with with *value added* in terms of a much improved GUI, plus a very friendly auto-updater, plus a good newsletter, plus highly responsive tech support folks.

4. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

I think that this is going to be a rapidly improving AV.

I do know that the bootable recovery cd is a useful tool, but I'm not sold on Vexira's ability quite yet. Bears watching, though.

5. wizard

wizard Registered Member

This is what every av vendor will tell you: The next version will be much much better. Promising is one thing - delivering another. ;) Let's wait and see how AntiVir develops. :)

wizard

6. bellgamin

Soooo true, oh great & awesome Wiz. :D

Yeth, it could well turn out to be vapor-ware, BUT the *beta* of the heuristic thingee is very much for real. I understand that it possesses rather immense cojones. In fact, there is a website on-line where you can get it to do a scan for you.

grace & peace to all...........bell

7. wizard

wizard Registered Member

I know ;)

wizard

8. GAVXira?

Well, I assume Vexira / HBDEV will incorporate a reborn version of Gladiator....

Let's see how it does in testing...

9. radicalb21

radicalb21 Registered Member

Hey Viking,
    It's radicalb21. I have used both professional versions of VEXIRA ANTIVIRUS XP & ANTIVIR XP. I have also used the PERSONAL version of ANTIVIR. There are advantages about each as well as disadvantages. First the personal version of ANTIVIR is free for personal non-commericial use. Secondly it weighs in at about 3.5 to 3.8 MB in size. Some of the disadvantages are german to english translation within the program this shows up in both the professional and personal editions. Also another advantages of ANTIVIR is they have a forum online. ANTIVIR costs about $165.00 dollars US from HBEDV and VEXIRA costs approx. $34.95 dollars US from CentralCommand. VEXIRA has no problem with translation issues. The rescue disk software works great for both plus you can update the vdf file for both so everything is current. One major differences between ANTIVIR & VEXIRA in reference to other AV products is all virus scanners scan on file read but both VEXIRA & ANTiVIR scan on file read & write. Both programs use very little resources. Both tech support in Germany and the US is good. I have persons I talk to at both companies. If you have any specific questions you can email me from the link in my profile. Also right now ANTIVIR is currently in BETA testing of the new versions of there products that will be available in either JUNE or JULY '04. Some of the improvements are strong heuristics and enhanced mail scanning as well as better unpacking engine. ALL BETAS ARE IN GERMAN LANUAGE AT THIS TIME. I am both a beta tester for HBEDV & CentralCommand.

10. viking313

viking313 Registered Member

radicalb21....thanks for the info....Hopefully this will put Vexira/AntiVir in the running for the AV top teir.I like Vexira GUI and the fact that the av doesnt slow my laptop down and since I do little downloading on this comp I feel that I'm protected fairly well for this system.Thanks to you and everyone who responded...

11. Godzilla

Godzilla AV Expert

AVLEXA (the heuristics) is very soon included in the GUI program. However, during beta test a console mode driven scanner with this heuristics is the best way to test it out. Because you can keep your normal AV Guard installed.
    AVLEXA does already detect the most of the new threats (including mimail versions, Beagle and so on) without any update.
    It does include a Win32 PE Spectral Analyser, Decompilers, Script Processor, Generic Trojan/Worm Plugins and much more.
    Overall 32 malware categories covered.

Here is a (older) screenshot of the configuration screen from the AVLEXA module:

http://www.virusexpert.info/settings.jpg

AVLEXA will be available for all platforms.

If you like you can try it out here:
    ---> Link <---

Regards

12. Where do I find the module from your screenshot? I downloaded the files and setup the scanner as per the english language instructions on the AntiVir site and scanned from DOS prompt but did not see any module like the one in your screenshot.

13. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

vaporware? i don't believe that a company of this status would...never.. will it deliver all promises? i dunno.. the beta heuristic scanner IS very promising...really..
    i have a strong feeling that we will hear about this soon..
    the screenies of michael show that antivir will give a new meaning to the word configurability in av's..

14. wizard

wizard Registered Member

I remember one year ago the rumor spreading this forum that NAV will get a much more powerfull unpacking engine than KAV. Yes, NAV 2004 has now an unpacking feature but beats it KAV? NAV is far away from that. Just one example of thousands.

Point is: Untill something is ready and really finished things could look quiet differently. I did not say that the heuristic engine of AntiVir is vaporware (because I know much effort Michael is putting into his project) but in the end Michael is not the decision maker at H+BEDV.

Decision making needs to consider the costumer requirements and needs and I can tell you that heuristics are for most companies not high on the list of wanted features because they produce likely more false positives which increases IT support needs and therefore cost. Which is of courese something no company likes. ;)

We will see how the end product looks. :)

Personally I think that in the final release of AntiVirPE there won't be such a detailed level of configuration. H+BEDV might proof me wrong on this but I really doubt that we would see this configurability in the end product.

wizard

15. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

i agree, they have to make a compromise between unpacking and performance.
    a high level unpacking engine will cause performance lag, which could result in lot of whining among those users who like antivir's low resource usage.it's the same with heuristics, they slow you down..
    i'd like to see that amount of options though,i like configurability.. :)
    i'd like the heuristics to be optional, for example to be enabled in a situation when you definitely feel you're infected, but not by default..

16. wizard

wizard Registered Member

I agree the more configurability the better. :) But 99% of all users just want to have it as simple as possible.

wizard

17. minacross

minacross Registered Member

bellgamin,
    regarding AntiVir PE, where exactly I can find it? I can't find it in the about dialog box. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

18. bellgamin

Based on the picture attached to your post, I would say that you already have a copy of AntiVir PE. The "PE" is merely an abbreviation for "Personal Edition."

I'm sorry I didn't make myself more clear. {Also, I hope I haven't mis-interpreted the nature of your question.}

grace & peace to you........bell

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.