Very Stressed - Need Help!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by aladdin, Oct 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

I am lurking around on this forum for more than 2 weeks now. New to security situation, though an old timer computer user.

I have tried few security programs in the meantime, and bought few of them in this short period. However, in the process I have messed up two of my laptops and need help.

On both laptop I used to have:
    1. Avast Pro
    2. Outpost Firewall Pro
    3. Windows Defender

Presently I have:
    1. Avast Pro
    2. Windows Firewall
    3. Windows Defender disabled.

I have tried many AV, HIPS and Firewall in these two weeks or more. The Firewall I tried, beside Outpost Pro were:
    1. CIS - Complete Suite
    2. OA - Free

Problem:
    I cannot access other computers or the NAS server on my network from either of these two laptops anymore. However, from any computers on my network, I can access both these laptops without any problem.

Operating system: Windows 7 x64

Need help desperately to access other computers on the network and especially, the NAS server. Maybe, some setting.

P.S. I have tried to uninstall the Firewalls according to the developers of the Firewalls.

2. aladdin

Some more information.

This is now going on for the last one week or so. I have tried everything, but without success.

I get the following error:

Error Code: 0x80070035
    The network path was not found.

There is not very much on the internet about the error. However:

1. The diagnostic shows no errors found.
    2. I can ping all computers and the NAS server by both IP and Name.
    3. In Windows Explorer > Network not all the computers on the network show up, neither the NAS server.

Any help will be appreciated.

1. I have not backed up any images.
    2. The restore function doesn't work, so I cannot go back in time.

I have now installed Rollback Rx trial version for time being.

3. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

Avast seems to have a habit of stopping a connection to the net or in your case, to the router. You have to go to the avast forum to try for an answer.

4. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Perhaps the problem is some lingering registry entries from uninstalled programs.
    If you're comfortable with it, check the registry for (as an example) Comodo entries or use a program like Revo Uninstaller.

Perhaps also reset settings (to default) from the command prompt with;

ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

and then

netsh winsock reset catalog (resets winsock entries)
    netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt (resets TCP/IP stack)

You can also simply visit Microsoft support pages where handy so-called Fix-It 'programs' (scripts) can be downloaded to execute above commands without having to use the command line.

I'm not sure if this will fix your problem but at least you can be sure, you're working with default Windows 7 settings.

5. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

6. aladdin

Hi,

Tired all the suggestions and still no joy. I had already tried earlier to clean the registry, the application Fix-it and so forth. Tried them again, and also tried to reset/fix the winsock as suggested by both of you [Baserk and fred128].

Even uninstalled Avast and still no joy!

Need help guys!

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

If you open Device manager and tell it under 'view' to select 'show hidden devices' do you see any yellow warning marks?

8. aladdin

Hi there,

There are none. However, there are about 250+ Microsoft 6to4 Adapter. Every time I use the VPN, it creates one of these adapters.

9. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Just wondering whether the laptops are set for "public" network?.Im not an expert and have had a few glasses of wine ,but i think public setting might block connection of laptops?
    ellison

10. aladdin

Hi Ellison,

No, they are set for Home network. Red wine is good for your health! :)

11. tony62

tony62 Registered Member

Check network name
    Check Netbios settings within your network adapter
    Check Windows Services & set networking Services to default
    Disable software firewalls, if within hardware firewall protected lan(for testing purposes)

12. aladdin

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your suggestions. Tried them and still no joy. It is some setting which is not allowing me to access other computers, printers and NAS server on my home network.

With so much talent on this forum, I am pretty sure someone will come up with a solution. Though, very surprised with almost total lack of participation.

BTW, I use static IP addresses for my home network.

13. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

If you are still using Win 7 fw with advanced security, try the Domain profile as seen in the screenshot. If you still get blocked to server, don't waste time by messing about with different rules; instead, get to the root of the problem and that is best done by searching logs for clues. Check win7 fw logs at:

%systemroot%\system32\LogFiles\Firewall\pfirewall.log.

If you want some better, enhanced logging, try this excellent tip by sparviero

Attached Files:

14. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

To change the firewall profile, see attached screenshot...Sorry to change things on you, but Maybe try the Work (Private) Profile first.

Attached Files:

15. tony62

tony62 Registered Member

Can’t connect to other computers or share files and printers on a home network

Troubleshoot network connection problems

If nothing else works, then there is always a fresh reinstall of your OS.

16. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

This might sound silly, but did you try a system restore point before you lost connection?

Ice

17. aladdin

No, it is not silly. Unfortunately, I lost all the restore points in trying out all these security software. Though, learned a lot.

It might have nothing to do with firewall. I am getting the following error and there is nothing much on the internet about the error.

18. aladdin

Thanks for your suggestions. Though, it is still no joy. I have now installed OA Free version, which has better logging.

I am suspecting it might have nothing to do with firewall, though I might be wrong.

I am getting the following error.

19. aladdin

Thanks for the link. In OA Free, all the computers are showing up individually and the NAS server too. I have allowed them as all trusted.

I don't understand, why I cannot access them. Though, one is funny, in the Windows Explorer, not all of them show up. Also, the NAS server doesn't show up. But they all show up under the OA Free.

Yes, the last resort is re-install. However, I have spent lot of time customizing them and it would be really a shame.

I am pretty sure that someone will come up with a solution. Need more members to participate.

20. tony62

tony62 Registered Member

Really? I searched & found pages & pages of infoo_O

21. aladdin

The info I read, that in almost every situation it mysteriously sorted itself out. No solution was provided.

22. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

23. tony62

tony62 Registered Member

Unless they are production systems & not shared with other users, i would not hesitate to reinstalling the OS, setting up a decent backup strategy and starting off as you mean to go on. It has already been two days since you posted this, when a reinstall would take less than an hour. Also, most settings can be easily transferred to another machine via Windows Easy Transfer

24. aladdin

Thank you everyone who participated in this thread and tried to help me. In the end I wound up formatting both of my laptops.

Many thanks!

Kind regards,

KOR!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.