Very strange Returnil incident

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by Chuck57, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I found the free 72 hr giveaway of Returnil Pro yesterday and downloaded it.

No problem with the download and it ran well without any configuration - for about an hour. Then, it began uninstalling itself along with some other things in my operating system. No logs are available on this Dell Inspiron, Vista HP, all current updates, 1.8 Intel Dual Core and 2G RAM. The OS was nearly unusable.

I had to re-install my OS and programs via an external backup that I use.

I've never had anything like it happen before, or heard of anything like it. The PC was clean according to MBAM and Hitman Pro prior to the install, which came from Dottech.org. Returnil performed a scan when it was first installed which also showed as clean. Again, it was the weirdest thing I've ever had happen.

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Chuck,
    That is a unique report. Have you reinstalled RSS to see if you can reproduce it?

Mike

3. Chuck57

I haven't as of yet. I'll download it into VMware and see what happens. I've got approximately the same setup - OS and programs in VM as on my host machine. Nothing remarkable or unusual.

The only possible thing I can think of is a bad download, but would that take an hour or so to manifest and could it cause the program to uninstall?

Hopefully, if it happens, I can salvage log files.

4. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Same thing happened to me last night and I had to restore my laptop with an image.

Though, I installed the latest version of RSS over the previous version along with few other software updates.

So, I cannot pinpoint to one thing. However, this thread have me thinking!

Best regards,

KOR!

5. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I had no problem with the giveaway but that might be because I used the promo code on an existing Returnil installation.

6. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

I didn't have any problem with giveaway. I had earlier version 3.2.10853-5462-REL7 installed in my computer which had the expiry till 31/03/2001. I inserted the new giveaway key and the expiry became 18/12/2001.

I then updated to the new version 3.2.11341-5521-REL11 and it accepted the update. However, it started giving problem as I have mentioned in my above post #4. Tried it on 2 laptops with the same results. Went back to version 3.2.10853-5462-REL7 and everything works fine.

Seems like the new version 3.2.11341-5521-REL11 conflicts with something in my computers.

Best regards,

KOR!

P.S. Much obliged for the free giveaway. Many thanks Returnil.

7. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

This comment is not related to the giveaway, but to the update to v REL 11.

I had the free version installed. When the update installation began, two messages appeared.

The first said that there was a problem with the installation and I must change a configuration setting and reboot.

The second said that a corruption problem with the previous installation had been found and corrected and I must reboot.

I rebooted without changing anything. After the reboot the update was installed and it is working well.

Possibly related: I had updated MSE to V. 2 before I began to update Returnil. Returnil Virus Guard was disabled in the old installation, and it is disabled now.

8. Chuck57

The update. The little bell went off in my head. I *think,* not sure, that I clicked on the update that the message said was available. It was the 3.2. 11341 update.

That might explain the problem. I've been running the 10853 release in VM and no problems, even with only 512 total RAM dedicated to VM. There's a bit of a slowdown, which I expected. I'll update and see what happens.

9. Coldmoon

Strange - If you run into a damaged install message, reinstall so the installer can repair as Robin did. The first message for Robin might have been the Virtual Mode still being active so it would need to be turned off and that requires a restart.

Mike

10. Chuck57

Okay, I tried to update from 10853 to the newest update in VM and had the same problem. It updated and uninstalled everything. Again, unable to recover any logs or anything to say what happened.

I wasn't in virtual mode. The VMware setup is virtually the same as my host OS, with no other active security other than Sandboxie due to my intention to run Returnil.

The 10853 REL7 worked fine and fairly light. I might just use it and not bother updating. I like Returnil, especially the 2008 version which I have on another computer.

11. Coldmoon

Hi Chuck,
    Please try the following:

1. Grab the current REL7 logs and then Uninstall REL7 in the VM completely. Use the Windows add/remove and then check to verify proper uninstall.

2. After the uninstall restart, try to install REL11

Does this allow proper installation of REL11? Regardless of the result, see if the logs are present and send them over via support ticket: support (dash) tech (at) returnil (dot) com so we can see what is happening with a fresh install.

IF this fails as well, can you grab a video from VMWare showing the process of install and error as this may help identify what is happening sans the logs.

Thanks
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.