Very Strange Indeed

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by screamer, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Here's one for the great minds:

I installed ShadowProtect (V2 "eval" DeskTop Edition) on Sunday. Backed up my laptop to ext.USB hdd.
    Tried a restore yesterday, many failed attempts, finally I thought I had it. This morning my box warned me that I was low on disc space. Apparently I created some small partition and restored to that. :(

After several restore attempts today, to a larger partition (don't know how I created a small one in the first place) It appeared successful. On re-boot Outpost FW was corrupt. I tried to restore to a secondary FD-ISR SS, no joy. FD-ISR booted to primary. I thought I selected the wrong SS, so again I selected Secondary SS. FD-ISR booted to primary SS. I imported an archive I created on Sunday (my Weekly Archive) re-booted... FD-ISR booted to primary SS.

This has happened since installing SP. Also new in my Application Log / Event Viewer:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error creating the Shadow Copy Provider COM class with CLSID {65ee1dba-8ff4-4a58-ac1c-3470ee2f376a} [0x80070422].

hmmm??

..screamer

btw: this is a Dell laptop w/ a Dell (re-install) partition on it. I can only figure that is why I had so many choices to pick a location in SP for the volume restore.

OH! and on this machine I'm using the Raxco Copy Engine RSS

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Screamer

Have you tried turning the Preboot enable on and off, or do several reboots. It sounds like FDISR has either lost it's $isrbin file, or the mbr is not pointing it at the right place. When you install ShadowProtect it doesn't go near the mbr. Really weird

PEte

3. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Hi Pete,

Yeah, I tried all the usual stuff: pre-boot on and off, swapping around SS... I checked out the detailed log in help and that offered nothing. Not one mention of a hiccup from FD-ISR. My only alternative was to re-install WinXP, which I'm in the process of doing... Strange thing though, all I was able to recover is 2/3's of my HD. It's a 100GB, but all I can see is 66GB. Like 30GB was "un-allocated space" Will Disk Director allow me to recover this space or do you figure it's lost somewhere in oblivion?

Well it's back to installing apps.

...screamer

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Screamer

Disk Director should indeed allow you to recover that space. Notice I said "Should"

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.