Very Slow UR Restore- 24 Hrs & still going.....

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by neilwillis, Jun 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neilwillis

neilwillis Registered Member

Hi.
    Just trying to restore using TI Server with UR.

Started this yesterday at 10am and it said 6 hours... After a few hours it went to 9 hours. When i left work a 6pm yesterday it said 11 hours. Came i this morning expecting it to be complete and its now 1 day 1 hour!!!

What the heck is going on?

Using a Crossfire USB drive to restore from:
    Dell Poweredge 4400 - Radi 5

Any ideas?

I tried the WinPE option, but when it asked for the drives for the new system it always crashed and said it was low in Virtual Memory.
    Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks

Neil

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi Neil,

Is this a test or the real thing..?

T.

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

It sounds like it is failing to restore for some reason and the prolonged attempt is causing the time-to-completion estiamte to be revised continually upward.

I assume all the relevent disks are being recognized. Did you try running chkdsk on the disks before restore?

4. neilwillis

Hi Guys,

Well it finished after posting this (2 hours later) It asked for a couple of drivers and then rebooted.

I have a service that has not started, but cant find which one yet. Everything seemed to work Exchange, IIS, Sharepoint etc.

The only thing that i cant seem to do is browse the network. (Microsoft Windows Network) I get an error.

So it looks like it was just slow at the restore process (26 hours in total)

Neil.

5. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi Neil

Glad to hear that the process completed successfully.

However, you won't want to wait 24++ hours everytime you do a restore so it would be helpful to both yourself and other Forum members if the cause of the slow restore could be identified.

Have you tested the same scenario on small file sizes? For example, take say 50 small document files and repeat the process within exactly the same conditions. Same source; same destination; same AV; same Firewall settings; same network connections, permissions and other parameters.

T.

6. signetring

signetring Registered Member

7. neilwillis

From what i can tell so far its a problem with the USB drive being very slow outside of windows!

I also have Paragon Drive Backup and used this to see if there was a better restore speed and there was little change.

I think my best method is to restore the 1st partition (SBS 2003) and then boot windows. Acronis TI will already be installed at this point and then use it to restore my Exchange partition + another which has user profiles etc. This way the USB drive will work fine and should be much quicker.

Neil

8. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

When you say
    I assume that you mean when running under the Linux kernel?

You may want to check with the manufacturer of your USB drive that the Linux driver you are using is the best driver for that drive. The manufacturer may have an updated driver which might provide a significant performance improvement.

Being able to Restore quickly and accurately outside of Windows is a key requirement of any Backup & Recovery plan.

T.

9. neilwillis

Yes, sorry i do mean in the Linux kernel.

If there is a better driver how would i go about adding this to the boot cd?

10. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Perhaps try a BartPE CD Begginer's Guide to Creating a BartPE CD with one of Mustang's BartPE Plugins. BartPE is windows based and uses windows drivers which usually perform siginificantly faster than the Linux drivers.

11. neilwillis

I did try Using BartPE but when it came to the restore process the program crashed and i had a message saying the Virtual Memory was low etc.

12. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi Neil

BartPE is a great utility and the plugins created by Mustang have been one of the foundation stones of this Forum.

However...... Acronis opted to use the Linux kernel as their alternative operating environment and as such (in my opinion) there is a certain moral and commercial responsibility on the part of Acronis to ensure that they do everything possible to enable the Linux kernel to work with available hardware.

I suggest that you raise a Support Call with Acronis and provide them with full details of your hardware. They will be able to very quickly determine if the particular make, model and version of your hardware components have supported Linux drivers.

T.

13. neilwillis

I might well do that; although from that i have read on this forum support can be slow or just not helpful.

I did manager to progress today using BartPE with the plugin; however whilst not getting the virtual memory problem, it had an error which i can remember right now (something to do with the service not available) which i found a way round by running it manually. I then got a disk read error and it gave me options to ignore, retry etc...

Seems like I’m not have much luck using this option!

14. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello neilwillis,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you use the latest build (3920) of both Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows and the respective Acronis Universal Restore. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If updating doesn't solve the problem, please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please keep drives in question connected and powered on during the creation process.

Please also collect the exact vendor and device names of the drive in question.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.