Version 3.0.621.0 Problem with Tor?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by CrookedBloke, Dec 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrookedBloke

CrookedBloke Registered Member

I use latest Vidalia bundle with Firefox 2.0.0.11 and Torbutton. Tor sends html through port 9051 to the Tor network. This was was working fine up through version 3.0.566.0 of EAV.

Since installation of 3.0.621.0 I cannot use Firefox through Tor using normal EAV settings. If I try, all I get is that the session with the server was reset -- no matter what Internet destination I choose. But if I go into EAV settings and tell EAV to scan only html and POP3 ports but NOT the applications, then Firefox works perfectly through Tor.

I tried adding the Tor port (9051) to the html ports list, and that caused Firefox / Tor to fail, too.

I assume this has to do with the proxy functions of EAV, but I'm confused as to why Tor would have worked all the way through version 3.0.566.0 and now won't work with the new version.

It looks to me like I'm essentially having to use html through Tor unprotected by EAV because of the way the proxy works in EAV.

2. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Works fine with me using plain Firefox. I just check of web browser in NOD32 web access panel.

3. CrookedBloke

Hi, Vettetech.

Yeah, just plain Firefox works fine for me, too. But Firefox doesn't work with Tor unless I essentially exempt the traffic going through the Firefox/Tor combination from real-time protection via EAV.

Tor is an application that allows you to use a browser to connect to remote locations through a series of intervening servers that hide your destinations from some types of snooping -- like that which might be done by nosy ISPs. The Electronic Frontier Foundation (eff.org) has information on it.

4. CrookedBloke

I guess I'll bump this once in the forlorn hope that someone out there besides me is using Tor and can tell me whether or not they have seen the same issue with 3.0.621.0.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.