Verizon DSL question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gracie123, Mar 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

I will be getting Verizon DSL in about 2 weeks... can anyone tell me your experience with it if your using it or have used it? Any issues with Linksys router? I have a Linksys router and some other PCs connect to it... any problems that anyone has come to?

Thanks, I'd appreciate all the feedback I could get.

Gracie

2. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Gracie~ I've been using Verizon DSL for 2-years and it has been a treat. I'm now using a Westell gateway (modem and wireless router all-in-one). During my first year with Verizon DSL I used a D-Link router with their (Westell) modem and had no problems whatsoever, so I see no reason why your Linksys router shouldn't work as well. ~pv

3. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

OK, is installing the software that I think they said you need to install their modem pretty easy? Also, will I need to have my Linksys router too if I want my other computers to be able to connect to the Internet?

4. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Yes, Verizon's setup CD is straight-forward, you shouldn't have any problems following it and setting up your DSL connection. Included with their modem, Verizon will include some (small) in-line filters that you will need to connect between your phones/fax and their wall outlets (it's easy).

If you want to have other computers share your DSL-line, a router is the very best way to do that. There are other methods, but they all have limitations compared to using a router and since you seem to already have one, use it for sure! Unless your router is wireless, you will need a cable that runs from the router to each computer. Verizon's installation kit includes the cables to hook up one computer. If you don't already have them, you can buy additional cables at places like Radio Shack, etc.

5. tayres

tayres Guest

I experienced some problems with Verizon's DSL.

There were at least 2 outages when I used their service last year, and one of those lasted for several days. In addition, their cable modem (Westell) had to be rebooted often.

Verizon's customer service gave credit for the outage when asked, but didn't apply it to the account until after being called a few times. They accidently canceled the service when I moved, and told me I would have to re-sign on more expensive terms. It took several phone calls, much pressure, and a significant amount of time to convince them that they should honor the agreement. On top of that, the service didn't resume for several additional weeks.

Maybe Verizon had some difficulties with DSL where I live. I don't know.

That was my experience, anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.