Verizon caught applying spam filtering to outgoing email

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by lotuseclat79, Apr 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

The subject title happened to me as I was sending an amusing email (in the adult sense) to a good friend of mine in another state.

I called up Verizon customer service and complained that spam filtering is perfectly OK for my incoming email, but NOT on my outgoing email.

I was sent a followup email from Verizon directing me to submit a whitelist form which I filled out and explained the issue. They, in turn, sent me a form email which if "true to form" indicated that they did not understand the issue stating that they thought it was with receiving email. I replied to the email with a detailed explanation about the issue. While on the phone with the customer service representative, they mentioned that the issue should be resolved in 48 hours.

We shall see, as the end of the 48-hour period is this afternoon. I will try to send the original email after the 48-hour period. If I still get spam filtered on my outgoing email (completely harmless for adults), I will then escalate the issue with the technical support line - at 1-888-553-1555 (for Verizon email account holders only).

I have never, ever sent anyone any email that could even remotely be construed as spam. The URL in question was clearly a FALSE POSITIVE, but the spam filters not being intelligent are too stupid to be able to distinguish the difference.

-- Tom

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Is Verizon your email provider, your ISP, or both?

They're probably aiming to block outgoing spam from botnet slaves, which puts them at risk of IP blacklisting.

3. lotuseclat79

Hi mirimir,

Both! I agree with your assessment. Even though I use their Webmail server, my outgoing emails should never be subjected to spam filtering.

-- Tom

4. lotuseclat79

My followup test indicated that Verizon had removed my account from being spam filtered on outgoing email. Now, if they can stop sending two Verizon employees to try and get me to upgrade to triple-play (which neither fits my budget nor my needs as I am happy with free over-the-air TV programming), and be willing to drop their high prices across the board compared to the rest of the world - I would be a happy camper!

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.