Verifying Image on DVD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Naddude, Oct 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naddude

Naddude Registered Member

Can you verify (check image) an image on a DVD directly or must you copy it to the hard drive 1st to do so? (I ask because I keep getting error messages)

Thank you

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I'm not sure here as I've never made a DVD image, but I would think you'd need to have all the archives in one place ie. your harddrive for verification to take place.

Stand by for Menorcaman or others who are h'experts in this field :)

Colin

3. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Yes, you can validate the image on DVD directly, even if it spans over a few DVDs. But it takes a long time to do that and it's better done separately, not with the Option set.

Since I use the 2-step method to write images to DVD (saving the image files to a second HD first, validating and then burning them with Roxio) I'm able to do a bit-to-bit compare between the files instead of validating the DVDs. The compare method is 7 times faster!

You should try the 2-step method if you get error messages while validating DVDs. The direct burn from TI may be just too fast. If you do it with some other burning software you can keep the speed down (I use 4x for 16x DVDs.)

The operation that requires to have the files copied from spanned DVDs back to the same folder on HD is Mount.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Naddude,

Yes, you can verify (and restore) an image on DVD directly although, for a spanned image, you need to follow the correct sequence for disk changes. See my reply in this previous thread titled <Help With Restore>. It's when mounting an image that all parts of the image must be in one location. Therefore if the image spans multiple DVDs then all the separate .tib files (volumes) must first be copied into a single folder on your hard drive.

Best to let us know what that error message says as it may well be due to a DVD burning problem. In which case we would also need to know the TI Version and Build Number that you are using.

Regards

5. Naddude

I created an image on my hard drive. Verified it ok. Then moved it to a DVD using Nero Incd and then attempted to verify and got a "corrupt" message. I am now creating the image directly on the DVD! o_O I am also getting corrupt message when creating directly to DVD. I am using TI 8.937.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I didn't think TI8 supported direct writing to DVD, only CD.

Try burning your image onto DVD using the regular burning procedure rather than InCD and be sure you use Nero's "verify after burning feature".

7. Naddude

Actually TI 8 does support direct imaging to DVD and I have not had any problems in the past using it or INCD so I will try a different DVD disk. As the disk may be corrupt.

8. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Yes, you are right. I forgot about it writing to DVD if you have packet writing software like InCD installed. TI9 build wxyz let you write directly without the need to have InCD installed.

If it worked before, then could be just a bad disk.

9. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Well, not in the true sense as it requires third-party UDF packet writing software such as InCD running in the background and UDF preformatted DVDs ;).

Regards

10. Naddude

It was a bad DVD but maybe I should upgrade to 9? I have a version (9.03677) but didn't install it because I heard it wasn't stable. Is this true? And if I install TI 9 can I access (restore) previous images taken by Version 8?

Thanks!

11. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

To take your last question first, yes 9 will read v8, however v8 won't read your v9 files if you decided to downgrade.

TI being stable is a subjective thing, don't for get this is the complaints and problems forum, not the it went without a hitch one :) .

For me the only problem I have with TI 9 is the non working wireless mouse problem with the rescue CD - this isn't a major problem for me, just an annoyance so, I wouldn't list that under the unstable category - it even sees my S-ata drives.

To my way of thinking I'd move up to v9 if you wanted the auto MBR an direct burning to DVD.

The only thing I'd suggest is experiement - making sure you used a different name for the trial tib file - if the new rescue CD worked as advertised for you, and it burnt to DVD as you hoped and if possible a trial restore worked, then you could start overwriting your v8 files - though if you have space I'd be tempted to keep the last v8 set just in case.

Colin

12. Naddude

Thanks a lot for that great info!
    Do you recommend uninstalling TI 8 1st then do a clean install or can I just install TI 9 over top of 8?

Cheers

13. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I'd uninstall - it is supposed to work wihtout doing this, but some installations have had problems.

You may need to have your v8 and v9 licence to hand when you install v9.

Colin

14. Naddude

Thanks Colin:

One last thing what did you mean by "auto MBR?"

15. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

v9 allows the choice of when restoring to restore the MBR or not - if you are doing whole disk images and restoring whole disk images you won't need to worry about this.

Colin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.