Verification Location Problem

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by seekforever, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Paragon B&R12 latest version running under Windows 8. This is not the problem since I find it exists on earlier versions and OSs.

1. Create archive on internal HD and Verify.

2. Copy archive to USB drive using Windows Explorer.

3. Verify archive on USB drive to ensure it copied properly.

The last step is my problem. I cannot verify the archive on the USB drive. I select it using File View and all looks well but closer examination shows that the archive being Verified is the one on the internal HD. I tried removing the one on the internal from the database and it still did the same thing.

This is scary because it looks like it is performing the operation correctly but it isn't.

Am I overlooking something?

Thanks

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

The obvious question: why don´t you create the image directly in the USB drive? This is simpler and avoids potential problems when copying the image.

3. seekforever

Faster and easier with the internal for making images when making changes to the system.

I don't copy every image to a USB drive only when I think it is time to have a fresher copy off-line. I only image the OS and apps not important data files which I use a different program for.

Making another image to the USB drive wouldn't be all that much more time since I have to get it out and hook it up anyway but the program shouldn't behave this way.

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

You can work from a boot medium and manually select the image you want to verify.

5. seekforever

Yes, it seems the issue is that the same archive name was listed in the archive database. Even removing the archive from the database didn't seem to help the time I tried it and it is not what I would want to do anyway.

The program indicates it has found the archive on the USB drive but then opens the one on the HD for the actual verification.

It can be worked around but it shouldn't happen and what's worse it shouldn't run like everything was fine requiring careful examination of disk lights or path listing on the screen to find out it really isn't doing what it indicated it would.

6. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

seekforever,
    Sounds like you should open an official support ticket/incident on Paragon support page, so that they work on a fix for it.

7. seekforever

Have sent a support ticket.

8. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

do me a favor and give me detailed info on what you are attempting to do, and from what version of paragon. So I can attempt to replicate the issue to report it to development

9. seekforever

Matt,
    The version is the B&R Home:
    Paragon Backup and Recovery™, version 10.1.19.16240 (22.11.12 ) Home

I create an archive to a second internal HD and verify it.

I then want to also store the archive off-line (which I do every now and then, not every archive) so I copy it to an external USB drive using Windows Explorer.

To ensure the copy on the external is good, I try to run the Paragon Verify from the Wizard on it.

It looks like the correct location/archive to verify is selected but the actual verification is done on the archive made earlier located on the internal HD. I once tried deleting the internal HD archive entry from the database but that didn't work.

If I take the archive to a different machine with HDM 11 on it (which will read the B&R 12 archive) it works presumably because it has never had an entry in its database with the same archive name.

If you aren't paying attention, it appears that Paragon is verifying the desired archive on the USB drive but it isn't. I can tell the wrong archive is being verified because the location that comes up in the Wizard's window shows the wrong device and the internal HD's light is on and the USB HD light is off.

This was reported to Paragon Support in ticket: Ticket ID 3420413

Thanks

10. Paragon_Matt

I will attempt to verify this tomorrow and if I can replicate it, I will report it to development for you.

11. Paragon_Matt

Hey Seek one more quick question, when you are copy/moving the info, are you moving the entire folder or just the image. One of the techs brought up the issue could be due to the index file and the location it saves for performing inc/diff backups.

12. seekforever

I copy the entire folder. I don't think it should matter but I change the name of the folder from that provided to something a bit simpler in appearance. The archives are all full archives - no differentials or incrementals.

13. Paragon_Matt

Seek,

Ok I have figured out the issue and I am going to attempt to explain it. With the way the the archives are created for the database now if you are simply copying the archive to a new location the database does not track that. You will need to go into the software add the archive to the database (even if it is under the same name or a different one). Then attempt to run your integrity check. which will then link properly to the new location of the archive.

The reason for this is because when you are performing the integrity check the software is referencing the database which does not know that the archive has been moved/copied so even though you are pointing to the direct location. The software will still reference its' original database location unless you add the new image that was copied to the archive database again.

14. seekforever

Hi Matt,
    Thanks for looking into the problem. The explanation makes sense but I don't think it should work like that especially when I go to File View to find the archive not pick it out of the database. Even if that point is not agreed upon, there should be some kind of an obvious message saying what is happening or that only archives in the database can be verified so enter it into the database first.

It seems to me the most obvious and best way is to re-work the routine to verify the archive selected in File View and ignore the database.

Why is looking in the database necessary for a verify when the location of the files to be read and processed is already known? Sounds like a case of using common code to do a function without all the nuances being considered.

15. Paragon_Matt

From what I can tell when recreating the issue, is that is has to do with the index file which is now being used even though not by the full images, the differentials and incremental images. Re-adding to the database is a work around for the time being, it is being reported to development for the part that is a bug, which is using file view and having link back to the database. I will report back if I get any answers or explanations as to why it is this way.

16. seekforever

Thanks again for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.