VERCLSID.EXE Multiple Instances in Task Manager URGH!!!

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by japrx7, Oct 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. japrx7

japrx7 Registered Member

So here is the story I have a recently new Sony VAIO VGN-SZ230P. Running XP Pro SP2 ALL updates applied per Windows
    Update as of today. I was toying around installing my usual applications onto this notebook then noticed, somewhere
    after the Nero or Audio Plug-In installation VERCLSID.exe was re-haunting my system.

Of course, I read all the forums and posts about KB908531 but that was back in April and Microsoft supposedly fixed
    that. Anyway I used the task manager and found 20+ instances of VERCLSID.EXE running and all degrading performance
    when I tried to open anything up.

I solved the problem by deleting VERCLSID.EXE from SYSTEM32 and another place, but there has to be another solution
    to this than to delete the !*@(# files from the OS. Besides why is it this machine is only doing this and not any
    other (ex. Dell Latitude D600 laptop) I've done the same setup (OS and all applications) with?
    And No there is no HP Share-to-Web installed... Also only the Windows Firewall is installed BUT DISABLED in
    services. Norton Anti-Virus is installed, but that shouldn't matter.

The Sony has a NVIDIA Force 4 series. I changes the Cache registry codes as that one Microsoft Support article said
    with those 4 keys, but still no joy (yes I rebooted). The VERCLSID.EXE instances just keep replicating in the Task
    Manager.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2006
  2. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.