VeraCrypt & Sandboxie

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Imperial Security, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Imperial Security

Imperial Security Registered Member

Is it possible to download files (example video media files) into a VeraCrypt container on an USB drive and to execute them sandboxed without removing them from the container? For the scenario let's say the files are illegal in certain countries and thus downloaded from TOR so one has the risks of downloading something illegal (solved by TOR anonymity and encrypted data on the USB drive) and the downloaded files containing a virus (solved by Sandboxie).

Would this work and if, how can one execute the files in a VeraCrypt container with Sandboxie? And if it wouldn't work, is there another way?

2. Not sure. Ask https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/ in the forums. Someone will answer your question.

3. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

A mounted volume is just like any other drive. If you can do it on your hard drive you can do it from the virtual volume too. I would take this inquiry down into the sandboxing forum here. I used sandboxie when I was using windows and its not too tough to confine/control a file as you described.

Note: I have the full paid version of Sandboxie so I don't have any limits that the "free version" may have.

4. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

5. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

You will be executing whatever programs are associated with the extensions you want to "play" or view. Those will need to run in the sandbox, which they will do with the procedure outlined by Bo.

It would make sense in the circumstances to delete sandbox contents on exit.

Please be aware that there might still be traces left by the operating system in things like swap etc. There are also OS logs of what USBs are plugged in etc. Sandboxie cannot protect against all of that - it is not really a privacy tool.

If you want or need that level of defence, then you will need to use other approaches.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.