Ver 9.9 build 2,302, won't work on DVD's

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by himeros, Oct 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himeros

himeros Registered Member

I have a Nec DVD-RW ND 2510A, that I have been using for a year, burning and watching movies, and many other uses, so I know the drive is working. Xp Pro with all updates, plenty of memory, but my ver. 9.0 will not work using DVD's, giving me error W00040011. I have tried three different makes of DVD-R disks. Program will work if I use CD's in the same Nec drive. What is going on? I see no posts about this error message. Thanks for looking and any help

Himeroso_O

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

build 2302 didn't support direct writing to DVDs. Download the latest build 3677.

Be sure you make a new bootable rescue CD.

3. himeros

Thanks for the quick reply. I will download and try again. Will that version work with DVD-r & -rw as well as DVD+r & +rw?

Himeros:)

4. seekforever

The expert on DVD writing is Menorcaman; here is his report on it for build 3666. The changes made for build 3677 did not address any of the DVD issues so it is the same.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=136780

5. himeros

Thanks for the heads up. I did read all the postings about this problem of not working with DVD's. Too bad, just another program that won't work. I did ask support at Acronis about backup on DVD's before I bought this software, and they said, there was no problem, and would even do dual layer DVD+R disks, which I wanted to use. <snip> Too bad, I just bought another failed attempt at a backup program. Has anyone used version 10 with DVD's and dual layer DVD's? Or is it just another sad excuse for a backup program? Thanks again for the replies and help.

Himeros

edited to remove off-topic comments - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2006
  6. seekforever

I don't really think the DVD issue is totally bad; the biggest thing is not to validate within the backup wizard but to do it independently after it has finished. There was one poster who did report backing up to a D/L DVD.

I could ask you why DVDs are so important as a backup media? You can get HDs quite cheaply today and put them into an inexpensive external USB box. Much faster to do backups and restores and you are able to store the backup away from the computer.

You can backup to DVDs using the so-called 2-step process. Create an image on another partition or internal HD and then use Nero, Roxio or whatever to burn it to DVDs. Just be sure to set the split option such that the resulting archive files will fit onto the DVD. It is a good idea to use your burning program's "verify after burning" feature so you know you have a good burn.

The 2-step process can even be used if you only have one partition if you have sufficient free space. Ignore any warning messages, create the archive and then burn it to DVD as above. You can create the archive on the same partition but you cannot restore from it because the restore process deletes the partition early in the process and would delete your archive.

7. himeros

The reason I wanted to use dual layer DVD's is they are now down in price to $1.50 each, you should be able to put 10 gig compressed on each one. Since I only have 30 to 40 gig I need to backup, it makes more sense to me to use 4 DVD's. I do have two new large capacity hard drives I could use if I have to use the disk to disk procedure, but if Acronis customer support tells me I can use dual layer DVD's to backup my computer, and the program won't work, why should I have to use different methods? I use my extra hard drives to reinstall my backups to make sure they work. Nothing is worse than having a backup of your hard drive that won't reinstall. What Acronis needs is some Beta testers before put the software on the market. I have been working with computers since my first IBM 86 with a full height single sided 360k floppy, no hard drive, 16 k of ram, green monitor. Anyway thanks for the reply, and still looking if ver. 10 is any better. I have a second ver 9, still in the closed envelope, wonder if the factory will exchange it for ver 10?

Himeos:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.