Vector Formats (EPS)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by dober, Sep 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dober

dober Guest

downloaded a file " contaning nature pictures" we have "Microsoft picture it 9" installed although the pics are associated with it. but cannot be opened when clicked. irfanview wont open them either. the format seems to be .EPS
    please which program can open such files (.EPS). Thanks

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. dober

dober Guest

@ ronjor

Irfanview give this

"this is a postscript EPS file
    please note: Irfanview can read only EPS file with a TIF/WMF inside .
    Try with Ghostview"

Any help. Thanks

4. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

I suppose these EPS files were made on an Apple, so only an Apple can read and convert them. I don't know if there are utilities who can read Apple EPS-files.
    Maybe someone else knows?

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey dober,

Would you mind providing the link to this file ?

I'm searching now about EPS(Encapsulated PostScript) files....and most are referring to Irfanview, XnView, Access with Ghostscript and SlowView as programs that can handle these type files.

6. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi dober.... EPS.. encapsulated postscript format can be read by quite a few apps...

It was not necessarily created on a MAC, and even if it was, it is still a file format that should be read in a windows based environment, unless it was specifically made without a TIFF header and saved purely as Macintosh, which I hihgly doubt would be the case as 99% of users on net are windows.

The programs include Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, IMageReady, Quark XPress, RealDraw PRO, PaintShop PRO. etc. all paid programs.

I am using HyperSnap as my screen capture and it reads EPS.

Give me link I shall dl and see and repost if you like, or email zipped.

Shall see if I can find any freebies to open EPSs in the meantime also for you.

Cheers, TAS

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

8. Tassie_Devils

Yes Ron, unfortunately, lot of things can display an eps file, the trouble is that is not the same as 'opening' an eps so it can be manipulated, saved to different format, etc.

Only really dedicated GFX proggies can do a good job that I know of.
    Although to be honest, I have never needed to look for another program as I have virtually all of the pro ones listed.

In addition to the list I gave above, there is also, Deneba Canvas, CorelDraw, Freehand, none of which are free.

TAS :)

9. dober

dober Guest

I downloaded the file 3 days ago from local public library its about 9Mb and cant remember from where. I'm searching. will let u know. cheers

10. dober

dober Guest

Ghostview links inside the provided link are dead. anyway Thanks

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Let Tassie lead the way here. He works with graphics.

12. dober

dober Guest

cant remember the link but can email the file to you guys. say so if you are interested

13. Tassie_Devils

Hi dober... :)

PM me.... shall give you email addy... phew 9Mb that is huge, for a picture, must be pretty large size dimension wise also.

My email can handle up to 15 Mb, but pleeeeese zip it, try to get it smaller....:)

I shall see what I can do with it.

What do you want in regards to format also... jpeg I take it, just give details in PM.

Cheers, TAS

edit: oops... you are a guest so cannot PM... but... you can go to my profile, there is an email link from Widers in that... but DO NOT send file thru that.

email me via that email, so I can send one back to give my personal one which will handle the file. :)

14. dober

dober Guest

Hi Tassie_Devils
    9Mb is the rar file(14Mb if zip filed) the actual size is 34Mb. I use hotmail and cannot handle such large size . is there another mean to send or to leave on a certain site so that you can pick it. cheers

15. Tassie_Devils

hi dober...

ok... that will present a problem... if you cannot email it. :(

is there anyway that you can get the link... anything at all inside the rar file besides pics... to give a clue...

just thought of something... get the 'name' of one of the pics and Google it.. you might refind the site again mate. :)

Cheers, TAS

hi ho back to work I go... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.